Menu

Reading Games for new Reader

bwdiaz

I have a young 6 year old who is sounding out early Bob book type stuff. This child is only learning to read because I won't sit there reading the Minecraft and ROBLOX chats to her. She doesn't really want to sit there and practice. I do have her working through Explode the Code and practicing in Level 1 and other early reading books during lesson time but she doesn't really want to and she never chooses books or stories outside of organized schoolwork.

Tonight on Instagram I saw another homeschool mom I follow with a kid on about the same level had gotten out the Boggle Jr. and I was like, "hey good idea!" She likes the Math games we play so why not reading games.

So, anyone know any other fun games besides Boggle Jr. that she might like? I have an 8 year old also who will play with us but I really want to target the 6 year old. Thanks for the help!

My phonics concentration game:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

Ideas for games for new reader, also shows concentration game:

With the tiles or magnetic letters, you can also just dump out one or two vowels and a dozen consonants, including common ending consonants like n, t, p and see how many words they can make in a minute, magnet letters on a magnetic white board or cookie sheet or scrabble or bananagram tiles on a table or tray.

Mona McNee also has free to print games with most of her lessons, click on each lesson to see.

http://www.phonics4free.org/mona-mcnee-biog

You can also make sounding out words more fun by having cars or small plastic animals jump across the word or print out large letters and have her jump on each letter while sounding out the word.  Also, colored marker on a white board to write the word can be slightly more fun.

• Like 1

The Crazy A's card game is fun for that age. My 4&5 year old like that one and don't think it has anything to do with reading. They just think it's another game. 

Yes, Peggy Kaye. She has Games With Math, Games with Reading, and Games with Writing. So between the last two, you should be able to find something useful. I believe she lists a few on her website.

I second Peggy Kaye's books. They're fantastic. They're not open and go since most of the games need to be made by mom but you will find some easy verbal games in there too (but not in the Games for Writing book).

That's all for now but if I think of anything else I'll come back and post it.

Yes, Peggy Kaye. She has Games With Math, Games with Reading, and Games with Writing. So between the last two, you should be able to find something useful. I believe she lists a few on her website.

I second Peggy Kaye's books. They're fantastic. They're not open and go since most of the games need to be made by mom but you will find some easy verbal games in there too (but not in the Games for Writing book).

That's all for now but if I think of anything else I'll come back and post it.