Menu

Where to go with programming after Scratch?

My great-nephew is in 5th grade and loves using Scratch to create video games, but is ready for the next step according to his parents. Where should he go next? It needs to be free and able to be self-studied. I know about Alice and suggested it, but that might be outdated advice.

• Like 1

The OP wrote that he is in the 5th grade.  He may be old enough to jump into the adult world and begin learning some serious skills. There are probably a bunch of free (MOOC?) courses for Python, which was mentioned in post #5?  Another option, which can be very low cost if you buy an older PC that is  Used or Refurbished, would be for him to install a Linux Distribution (CentOS, Ubuntu, etc.) on it and then he can install whatever he wants and if he wants to learn a Programming Language or the Linux OS (Operating System) or whatever, he can do it and it is free and legal.  

I mentioned to my DD yesterday that I am trying to figure out what I need to change in the CSS so I can make some minor adjustments in the Header in the Theme of a new WordPress   site. She suggested this web site to me:  https://www.w3schools.com/css/

There are probably a lot of web sites where he can learn things he is interested in, free.

• Like 1

Are there specific free sites that teach either Tynker or Python? I am fairly clueless in this area but am hoping to pass specific resources on to my step-niece for her son.

Tynker is a website where kids can learn to code with multiple languages including block languages (like scratch), python and Java. It is for free and parents can monitor. I don't allow mine to do anything with Minecraft, for example.

Tynker is a website where kids can learn to code with multiple languages including block languages (like scratch), python and Java. It is for free and parents can monitor. I don't allow mine to do anything with Minecraft, for example.

Are certain sections of it free? What I'm seeing are plans that start at $8 a month https://www.tynker.com/parents/#/plans-pricing

Scratch is such an awesome tool, it really is hard to find a good next step after it. Python is a common one, but presents some awkwardness if you want to do graphical games. It's also highly desirable that kids can get their friends to play their completed games on their smartdevices, and Python can't do that in any meangful way.

Javascript is a good next step because it's ubiquitous, and has a syntax that leads in all sorts of other directions. The problem is finding a tutorial pitched at the right level.

http://s2js.com is a Javascript tutorial aimed at kids who are very comfortable with Scratch. Instead of teaching all of HTML and javascript, it aims to teach as much as you need to produce the sort of games you were doing in Scratch, but more scalable and able to the run on your smartphone.

S2JS is tutorial, development environment and deployment platform in one. It explains Javascript in terms of Scratch, showing equivalent examples in each. Free.