Menu

Thoughts on Write Shop?

tdbates78

I picked up the primary book A, used, at our local homeschool consignment store after stumbling upon the Write Shop website a few weeks ago. We just started it yesterday. I am not an arts-and-crafts type (sadly) and I'm a bit apprehensive about the rather long list of required materials. Now granted if various types of paper and other odds and ends gets the job done, I will happily continue, but it does cause me some concern.

I don't see this curriculum mentioned too often, and I did do a search. I have 7 year old twins who are newly homeschooled, one of which is on the autism spectrum and very much dislikes writing. I appreciate the kind of baby steps that this book starts with. Yesterday we discussed our cat and wrote three painless sentences about him. We discussed the questions together and I proceeded to write our answers on the whiteboard and they copied the sentences into their notebooks. No whining or fussing, which surprised me. But I'm curious what others think since we are literally just starting.

I assumed I would start WWE next school year but I guess that would depend on how this goes. Can anyone compare the two?

Thanks!

Tracy

Edited by tdbates78

I loved it! We used book D, I think, quite a few years ago. I would've used the younger ones if they'd been around in time.

Painless & fun.

It was parent intensive, but if u only have 2 kids & are teaching them together, I'd go for it :)

We got 2 newborns for foster care the next year & gave it up.

There was an add on option, to order a "kit" with it that already had everything you need copied onto colored card stock.

We got that :)

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

I picked up the primary book A, used, at our local homeschool consignment store after stumbling upon the Write Shop website a few weeks ago. We just started it yesterday. I am not an arts-and-crafts type (sadly) and I'm a bit apprehensive about the rather long list of required materials. Now granted if various types of paper and other odds and ends gets the job done, I will happily continue, but it does cause me some concern.

I don't see this curriculum mentioned too often, and I did do a search. I have 7 year old twins who are newly homeschooled, one of which is on the autism spectrum and very much dislikes writing. I appreciate the kind of baby steps that this book starts with. Yesterday we discussed our cat and wrote three painless sentences about him. We discussed the questions together and I proceeded to write our answers on the whiteboard and they copied the sentences into their notebooks. No whining or fussing, which surprised me. But I'm curious what others think since we are literally just starting.

I assumed I would start WWE next school year but I guess that would depend on how this goes. Can anyone compare the two?

Thanks!

Tracy

You do know that if there are 100 homeschoolers in a room, there will be 200 opinions about anything, right? :D

If Write Shop works for you, it works for me. But I would never choose it. Way too cumbersome, way too many steps to do anything, way too much emphasis on writing paragraphs (because most things that we write in life aren't contained in tidy little paragraphs, and if they are, there are multiple paragraphs, all of which do not have to follow the artificial formula that WS--and others--uses).

You do know that if there are 100 homeschoolers in a room, there will be 200 opinions about anything, right? :D

If Write Shop works for you, it works for me. But I would never choose it. Way too cumbersome, way too many steps to do anything, way too much emphasis on writing paragraphs (because most things that we write in life aren't contained in tidy little paragraphs, and if they are, there are multiple paragraphs, all of which do not have to follow the artificial formula that WS--and others--uses).

Ha!! Good point!! :P

I admit while flipping through it that it does seem kind of cumbersome. I have a habit of finding a great website, getting sucked in and then thinking I need it. Once I got the workbook home I started having second thoughts. Yesterday went well, but it was only three sentences.

I'm going to stick to it for a few weeks, or through the first lesson, and see how it goes.

• Like 1

I have not used their primary or junior series, but I just started using WriteShop 1 with my oldest son.  We've tried a few different things in the past couple of years, but this is the first one that HE'S actually liked and responded to.  In literally 3 weeks, I've seen his attitude about writing improve.

It is teacher intensive and that could be the difference for us.  He needs some hand holding and this really provides that.  He also likes the assignments and has worked hard.  This level is not all arts & craftsy, but there are prewriting activities that tie in nicely with the assignments. 

I plan to use level E with my younger child for next year since I've been so happy with this. 

I definitely didn't love it. I bought 3 levels and ditched them after a month. I should have started smaller I guess. The activities looked fun enough but there was a lot of prep! I do like to flip through from time to time and we do a project here and there, but I don't follow it from lesson to lesson.

While my writing phobic son does well with the hand holding but get it done style of WWE and WWS, I knew my daughter would hate that. She loves all things arty and crafty and full of games. I tried WriteShop with her and she loves it. She wants to do the games and activities over and over and asks to do writing even when it's not on the schedule. It does have a lot of parent preparation, but I bought the pre-printed kit and did ALL the prep work before the school year started. I just take out the folder with every week's work ready to go. We're going to continue with it next year.

I tried it with my 3rd grade daughter. For us, it was way too teacher intensive. It took forever and a day to complete the lessons, we needed so many components to complete each lesson, and she didn't enjoy it nor could it keep her interested. It was confusing for me, and way too much work. We are using Ocean Adventures in Writing, and she loves this.

https://www.christianbook.com/ocean-adventures-in-writing/jan-may/9780983528173/pd/528173

• Like 1