Menu

Barton 4 post-test issues

caedmyn

DD11 finished Barton level 4 and we're working on the post-test (why are the post-tests so insanely long anyway??).  She did fine on the level, didn't have any trouble at all, but is having trouble explaining why she's doing what she's doing on part A & B of the post-test (reading words on tiles and spelling word on tiles).  I think it is because she already knows how to read and spell almost all of the words in the level, and because she actually does have a decent visual memory for words, she didn't really have to internalize the rules.  She can say the rules, but I think she's often been using her prior knowledge of how a word is pronounced to divide and decode it, and has been mostly using her memory of how the word is spelled, so she hasn't really had the practice to internalize the rules. DS8 has to internalize the rules because he has no other way to figure out how to spell or decode the words, but she doesn't.  So even though she's usually reading and spelling them correctly, she can't necessarily explain WHY she's pronouncing or spelling a word a certain way, and she does get tripped up at times with the few words that she doesn't know.  

I really, really, really do not want to go through the level again.  I'm burned out from doing 3 levels of Barton at once with 3 different kids, and I'm not convinced it will help anyway, because it's not the concepts that she has any trouble with, it's just the practice with words she doesn't know necessary to internalize it.  And I don't really care all that much if she can apply the spelling rules, because her visual memory is good enough that studied dictation works as a spelling program for her.  Her spelling could be better, but I'm confident that it will continue to improve over time with studied dictation based on the improvements I've seen in the last year.  I just want her to be able to accurately decode unfamiliar multi-syllable words.  

I guess I'm wondering if we should spend some time working on dividing words she doesn't know in word lists, and reviewing the rules covered in Barton 4, or if there's some other way to get her some more review without actually going through the level again.

It isn't required to do the Post Test if the child seems to have internalized and can apply the rules.  The key is internalizing, not rote memorizing and it sounds like she has done that, even if she can't remember the terms.  Did you leave the rules list out for her when she struggled?  I believe you are allowed to do that if they can't remember the terms.  A lot of kids have word retrieval issues even if they know how to apply the rules.  I don't think you have to repeat the level for your daughter.  It sounds like she did really well if she had no issues during the lessons and you were moving at a pace where she could be very successful.  This is a hard level for most.  I would maybe practice the word division a bit more if she is struggling at all with that.  Being able to divide the words accurately is really important and will affect things in the future.  Do you have the Spelling Success cards for Level 4?  Running through those might help with retaining the terms.  They helped me, too.

The other thing you might do is print out the Extra Practice pages (3-5) for each lesson off of the website (if you haven't already) and practice with those a bit while you take a bit of a break from full lessons then just do a quick review of the introduction of the rules for the ones she is not retaining (like not the whole lesson but just the very, very first part of each lesson to solidify linking the terms to the meaning.)  I don't know how necessary that is, though.

If you really feel she is solid, then you could always start her on Level 5 and if she struggles then consider doing the above...

• Like 3

No I didn't leave the rules list out.  She does seem to have some word retrieval issues so that might help.  I think she could use a little more practice with schwa's but has the syllable division rules down pretty well.  I made up flashcards for the different rules and we go over those.

I did print off some of the extra practice pages and will have her do those and review the rules.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Like 1

Seconding the Spelling Success games. They are a great way to get really familiar w/the rules/rule names, by just using them a lot, spotting the patterns.

You could make lists of words that cover all the rules, mixed up, then have her tell you what rules are used for each one.

Here's an idea I just thought of that I might try... give my student two rules, and have her create a word that uses both those rules.

It's good to be able to verbalize the rules. But you could certainly go on to Level 5, and just review whatever you feel still needs some review. The nice thing about reviewing previous levels is that it feels easy to the student, so you can spend a couple minutes a day on it and it's not stressful.

Edited by Jenn in CA
  • Like 1