Menu

Amazon Fresh

desertflower

I tried it when they 1st started in my area for free for 3 months. It was very easy, prompt. But I did not continue, because $$$. Not only the fee, but also the average cost of things. Like milk $4.29/gallon verses $2.19/gallon at Sam's club, Plus I buy in bulk and they did not offer bulk sizing. 

I recall thinking this would have been great for the 1st year of my twins lives and I probably wouldn't have minded the extra $ as I had a 5yo, 3yo and twins. So I did not buy in large quantities then, but now I have a newly 13yo DS....'nuff said.

Oh, plus I found there were certain brands they didn't carry..Like I remember ketchup. I only buy the hunt's natural. They only carry Heinz. But that you  could shop around and see what they offer.

If you have a Costco membership, you might check out google express. In my area they deliver from Costco, Target and Smart n Final and a few other stores. It was like $15/mo for next day delivery (you pick the delivery window). Only reason I did not continue was they do not deliver fresh/frozen items and to be honest that is most of my weekly trip. When I cancelled, they emailed and asked why and I told them let me know when you get fresh/frozen delivery and I'll try again.

• Like 1

The prices aren't great. Quality is very high on meat, fish, produce and fresh stuff.

We used them regularly back in 2009 to keep breakfast and lunch staples on hand (we had a newborn and my mother was dying and we were running on empty so I didn't care about things like cost all that much.). I liked that I could set up a regular order and add items to it as I thought of something. Our order was cereal, milk, bread, fruit, carrots, cheese, lunch meat, snack bars, PB, jelly, freezer waffles, yogurt, stuff like that. There wasn't a delivery or monthly fee back then- it was free delivery for all orders over $75 or something.

I've used them here and there before they implemented the fee but i have more time and less money now so it's not something that I really need. We also live adjacent to a grocery store so shopping doesn't take a ton of time.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

I agree that the cost is high. I inwardly cringe at some of the prices. The convenience is great.

We use it frequently enough to maintain it, but not for all shopping.

Because of DS's allergies, I find that I'm regularly running to four different stores to get his "staples" - and I hate shopping. Using Amazon Fresh, I can cut out two of the stores that are the farthest away. I use AF for those items I can't get anywhere but the two stores that are a long drive. So when I think of the cost, I factor in my time driving to/from those stores in traffic, and shopping. If I think of it that way, it works for me.

Once in awhile I add other items, as needed, and I like it when DH is traveling a lot, too.

• Like 3

DS is 10 hours away at college in the middle of a large city with no transportation (well, public transportation).  Grocery shopping is not convenient or inexpensive at the available stores.  I tried Fresh to send him grocery items when it was a free trial, but I don't do it often enough to make a subscription worthwhile and I think it's too expensive if you add the fee onto the cost of the groceries. 

Otoh, since then I've put together Peapod delivery orders for him which I can pay for online.  They have comparable prices to Amazon, but also include sale prices.  There is not an annual fee, but there is a delivery charge which I think is reasonable.