Menu

What geography resources/curriculum is out there

Queserasera

For elementary? Grade 3 or thereabouts.

This semester we are about to start Beautiful Feet Geography that uses the Holling C. Holling books.  It has a wide age range, being graded at 3rd - 7th...we are definitely on the upper range of that (grade 7), but I think we'll both enjoy it.  My daughter is also using Which Way USA and is learning a lot about the US from that.  Another idea is the Legends & Leagues N, S, E, W books.  

My Father's World Exploring Countries and Cultures (for 2nd -8th graders)

Galloping the Globe

Confessions of a Homeschooler blog has a curriculum for the USA (Roadtrip USA) and for the world.

There are a couple of mapping resources that might not be a main curriculum but more of a meaty add-on. Mapping the World with Art by Ellen McHenry may be more for older kids, but it could also be an overview of world history if you wanted. Brookdale House has a simpler one for younger kids for learning to draw the maps and memorize states and countries. If you wait a bit, she usually has sales twice a year for up to 40% off her .pdfs.

Memoria Press has some geography courses, but I think they start in 4th grade.

We really like Visualize World Geography.   It is EXPENSIVE....I know.   I debated buying it for years, but I am so glad I did.  It was well worth the investment.  It is the most effective thing out there IMHO.   In a very short amount of time, my kids have effortlessly learned to locate every country in the world.  (Well, they have problems with a few of the island nations, but they are about 95%.)   This has given them such a wonderful gift I can't even tell you.   Now they have context whenever we read about a place in history, science, or literature---or hear about it on the news.  

For cultural geography, we really like the Visits To Guides by Simply Charlotte Mason.  

For US geography, the guide by Barefoot meanderings is really nice.  :)  

Historically, home geography was taught in 3rd grade. You can find vintage texts for free that have very little that is outdated as they focus on what doesn't change.

C.C. Long, Charlotte Mason, and Payne's Geographical Nature Studies are all good. Charlotte Mason is the hardest of the three and I would save it for a later year.

We really like Visualize World Geography.   It is EXPENSIVE....I know.   I debated buying it for years, but I am so glad I did.  It was well worth the investment.  It is the most effective thing out there IMHO.   In a very short amount of time, my kids have effortlessly learned to locate every country in the world.

I really need you to stop posting about this!
  • Like 1

I forgot about our board game collection.. Brain Quest States Game, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, Where in the USA in Carmen Sandiego, Global Pursuit, Atlas Adventures, National Geographic Society game, and two vintage games Know Your America and Game of the States.

Edited by FawnsFunnyFarm