Menu

Phonics Gurus -- Is this right?

mathmarm

I'm looking at a phonics programs lessons on blending breakdown and it's breaking up 2-syllable, short vowel words like this.

Say the word is "hammer"

h a mm e r (e has a short vowel sound)

ha mm e r (e has a short vowel sound)

hamm e r (e has a short vowel sound)

hamme r (e has a short vowel sound)

To me, the way that the program is doing it is wrong, Hammer doesn't have a short-e sound in the 2nd syllable, and I think that not using the er, as a complete syllable is wrong. The way that *I* would decode/blend this word is this

h a mm er

ha mm er

hamm er

hammer

Is the program WRONG, or is this a difference of Phonetic Opinion??

The rule is that you split words into syllables between the consonants.  So, first off, it should be split as:

ham    mer

You'd next move to the rule that -er is a phonogram that goes together.  Like how th and sh go together.  The th or sh isn't pronounced as two separate sounds.  When they're together, they're one sound.

the -er in hammer is one sound.  

I'm looking at a phonics programs lessons on blending breakdown and it's breaking up 2-syllable, short vowel words like this.

Say the word is "hammer"

h a mm e r (e has a short vowel sound)

ha mm e r (e has a short vowel sound)

hamm e r (e has a short vowel sound)

hamme r (e has a short vowel sound)

To me, the way that the program is doing it is wrong, Hammer doesn't have a short-e sound in the 2nd syllable, and I think that not using the er, as a complete syllable is wrong. The way that *I* would decode/blend this word is this

h a mm er

ha mm er

hamm er

hammer

Is the program WRONG, or is this a difference of Phonetic Opinion??

There is never a time when I would describe "er" as an e with a short vowel sound; "er" says /ur/, a two-letter phonogram with one sound.

Spalding would have the children sound it out like this: /h/ /a/ /m/ /er/. They would write "ham mer,"  and they'd learn the rule about spelling and writing words with double consonants like that; in fact, the double consonants would be an indication that the "a" says its first (or "short") sound.

Agreeing with the others--I have no idea how they expect anyone to blend a short E with an R and come up with the /er/ sound!

It should divide ham-mer. The first syllable is closed (so the a is short), and the second syllable is r-controlled (use the sound of /er/). 

Very strange approach!

• Like 1