Menu

I have a theoretical question about transcripts and multiple institutions.

madteaparty

Hi, just wondering about the mechanics of this. Say a student took 3 classes at university A, and 2 at university B while in middle school. Then this student enrolled full time in high school, continuing to take classes at these institutions, maybe, but also the regular high school classes.

If the high school refuses to "give credit" or include the middle school dual enrollment classes on the high school transcript, and student somehow reports those classes (as he must) on his application, does the college he applies to get very confused? Do they put together their own transcript for this kid? I realize if kid was homeschooled for high school, this would not be an issue as mom would assemble the transcript. Thanks for any thoughts.

• Like 1

I think the college would only care about whether or not they transferred for credit at that institution. It's irrelevant what the high school chose to do.

But they will receive three different transcripts for this kid. They will put them together themselves, I guess? I'm asking more about the admission file vs trying to get credit for something he did in middle school. Thank you! Edited by madteaparty

But they will receive three different transcripts for this kid. They will put them together themselves, I guess? I'm asking more about the admission file vs trying to get credit for something he did in middle school. Thank you!

D applied with 3 different transcripts, one from me and 2 from different universities.

• Like 2

D applied with 3 different transcripts, one from me and 2 from different universities.

Right, but you could list the classes taken on your transcript so there's a central document. This theoretical kid wouldn't have that. I can see a college going "4 yrs of foreign language, where is it?! Wait wait, more paper here" Edited by madteaparty

Right, but you could list the classes taken on your transcript so there's a central document. This theoretical kid wouldn't have that. I can see a college going "4 yrs of foreign language, where is it?!"

If the college requires 4 years of foreign language in high school and your high school doesn't give credit for college classes completed in middle school then I would not count on those classes to meet the college requirement.

Some will be more flexible in their transcript processing than others--in general, private colleges/universities seem to be more flexible than public institutions. College credit completed prior to high school :ought: to count but it is not a guarantee. If you have a situation where what has been completed during the 4 years of high school does not for some reason meet a school's entrance requirements I suggest contacting them and verifying whether they will count credits completed prior to high school for those requirements.

If requirements are met and you just want the university to see the great stuff your kid did prior to high school, I don't think you need to worry; it is there in the college transcript. It is only inflexible and persnickety box checking that I would perceive as a potential issue.

• Like 1

No confusion, just send transcripts.

In NY, state law limits the number of outside courses a public school principal can allow to transfer in from outside sources. Very common for accelerated students to have more than the allowed number.

As an example, if Diff Eq is on.the high school transcript, admissions will assume College Alg or PreCalc was taken at some point.

No confusion, just send transcripts.

In NY, state law limits the number of outside courses a public school principal can allow to transfer in from outside sources. Very common for accelerated students to have more than the allowed number.

As an example, if Diff Eq is on.the high school transcript, admissions will assume College Alg or PreCalc was taken at some point.

I'm already on not great terms with this principal on different matters...

If they list DE with a particular SUNY school on their school brochure, that's not "transferring in" right? But if classes taken at another college down the street would be. Off to see how many one is allowed to transfer while taking them elsewhere (in high school).

If the college requires 4 years of foreign language in high school and your high school doesn't give credit for college classes completed in middle school then I would not count on those classes to meet the college requirement.

Some will be more flexible in their transcript processing than others--in general, private colleges/universities seem to be more flexible than public institutions. College credit completed prior to high school :ought: to count but it is not a guarantee. If you have a situation where what has been completed during the 4 years of high school does not for some reason meet a school's entrance requirements I suggest contacting them and verifying whether they will count credits completed prior to high school for those requirements.

If requirements are met and you just want the university to see the great stuff your kid did prior to high school, I don't think you need to worry; it is there in the college transcript. It is only inflexible and persnickety box checking that I would perceive as a potential issue.

Well he'd have 4 years of foreign language but not the same one. I don't care for them to see great things (such as they are) , I think we are required to report any college classes and I wonder about th organizational aspect of it all.