Menu

Has anyone replaced a car lock's actuator?

crazyforlatin

Seems high for the labor.  Basically, it is removing the door panel, and maybe some window disassembly. If you don't have to deal with window,  the replacement is simple.    will need a $10 panel removal tool  every (auto parts store) . and something to pop rivets if the actuator is rivet mounted. will then need to rerivet or bolt mount the actuator.   If you have a nice car, with luxury interior, I would think seriously about going dyi. When I worked on my college cars, I removed panel and replaced  speakers and window several times but they were all manual window, and I didn't worry about a popped fasteners or perfit panel re-fit.  For a better price,  check with a  car  window replacement shop,  They take panels off all day long.  Considering that some places will sell and install a replacement window for less than $100, they might be happy to make some money just removing and replacing the panel, or even do the whole job  . If are you going for it, i'm sure you can find the panel removal and actuator videos for your specific cars 

Edited by gstharr
  • Like 2

Possibly you can find a generic video or tutorial on this web site. Eric explains things in detail and in simple terms:  https://www.ericthecarguy.com/  After that, I would log into  your YouTube.com account and search for your particular make/model/problem and possibly you will find one or more videos showing how to do that. Some videos are excellent, others are at the bottom of the pile.  Try Eric first.    

I found Eric when Stepsons Mazda wouldn't start. That clicking sound that I assume is because it needs a new Starter. However, after watching Eric show all of the different things that can cause the identical symptom, now, I  know that it could be anything from a loose cable to needing a new engine.  Probably it is the Starter...

GL and be thankful it is not your Anti Theft system which can only be fixed/replaced by a dealer.  

• Like 1

I just replaced the actuator on the driver's side rear door of a 2007 CR-V over the weekend.  It wasn't too bad.  I did have to unbolt the bottom of the rear window track to make room to get the old actuator out and put in the new one.  Other than that is was pretty straightforward.  The door panel is most likely held on to the door by a combination of push-type clips and screws.  The screws will be hidden under a pop-off cover of some type.

www.alldatadiy.com is a reasonably price subscription-based service where you can access the factory service information for many vehicles.  It showed the location of all the different fasteners holding the door panel in place.  Getting the door panel off undamaged can be the biggest challenge if you don't know where all the fasteners are.

• Like 2

Yes! You should contact a dealer to see if it is under warranty. I had mine fixed within the last year or two for free because it is a known problem and an extra warranty was issued.

I didn't know that! The dealership at the time acted like it was an anomaly that it needed to be replaced. We paid about what the op was told.

If you simply do a search in Youtube of something like "replace lock actuator 2003 Honda Civic" (or Accord or whatever-you-have) you will almost certainly find a video which shows you EXACTLY how to do it.  I always do that when making repairs to our cars.  Many of the videos are incredibly helpful and they prevent me from having to learn some things the hard way.