Menu

SS# required for college visit

I think I would call and ask them to justify it. Am I correct in understanding the system won't let you register without it?

Yes. The form is online and ss# is a required field. If we decide to do a visit, I will try all 9s, but I find the request to be absurd.

I wonder what they would think if they knew that based only on this form requirement, I already don't want my kid to go to their school.

• Like 2

Yes. The form is online and ss# is a required field. If we decide to do a visit, I will try all 9s, but I find the request to be absurd.

I wonder what they would think if they knew that based only on this form requirement, I already don't want my kid to go to their school.

You should let them know. Seriously. They probably have no idea and also probably didn't really think through the requirement.

• Like 2

I absolutely hate online sign ups, for this very reason. They are always trying to force you to spill unnecessary information.

Fill it in with all 9's or all 0's and see if it goes through. That is a serious privacy breach to demand that from casual viewers,  instead of students.  Even then, it isn't necessary.

"Your SSN will never be used for identification purposes"  Blah blah blah, so they lied to us. 

• Like 1

No. Why would they possibly need the SSN for a visit?

Leave it blank. They may simply use it to correlate visitors with application files, but that is not your concern.

This...I have a new job working in college admissions.  From what I can tell, the reason for the request for the SS# is probably because that's the best way to keep track of the student's file.  The SS# will be required to do the FAFSA and if there is a previous record without a SS it can get confusing.  The school has a way around it if you don't provide, I'm pretty sure, but it does make their job easier.

• Like 1

No and no and no.  I would contact them and tell them, "My DD is interested in visiting UCF, but, for Security reasons, I will not release her SS number to you, for that visit. Can we get around that?"    If not, I would cross that school (49% acceptance rate?) off the list.