Menu

Geometry.

Part of the reason I took over my son's math education was that his old  school uses EveryDay Math, University of Chicago.  The kids using it understand math at the end, but lack proficiency because of the way it is taught  (shows in the standardized test scores).  For example, as late as 5th grade (at a new middle school now, so I don't know about 6th), it still teaches multiplication by  clustering groups of seven. er, two groups equal 14. Also, the very few practice problems tend to be narrative (hard to explain, but no not a word problem)  If geometry is anything like this, watch out.  My solution was to by old school text books for the early years, and have him to his 30 standard type problems a day.

• Like 1

Part of the reason I took over my son's math education was that his old school uses EveryDay Math, University of Chicago. The kids using it understand math at the end, but lack proficiency because of the way it is taught (shows in the standardized test scores). For example, as late as 5th grade (at a new middle school now, so I don't know about 6th), it still teaches multiplication by clustering groups of seven. er, two groups equal 14. Also, the very few practice problems tend to be narrative (hard to explain, but no not a word problem) If geometry is anything like this, watch out. My solution was to by old school text books for the early years, and have him to his 30 standard type problems a day.

can I ask what u used instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what did u use for geometry?

My older kids did a combo of public school and extensive dual credits. This is my first time through high school math at home. :o) Since we're in the home stretch for algebra, though, I've spent a lot of time with geometry books lately.

If you are using Saxon, depending on your edition, you might not need to do geometry, though.

We will use a combo of Jacobs Geometry 2nd edition and ALEKs. The TE for the 2nd edition was tricky to track down, but I think it will be useful. It's a little quirky, but generally well liked. The TE does seem to have answers and explanations for all or almost all of the problems.

ETA- It's actually a reasonable price right now: TE https://www.amazon.com/Teachers-Guide-Geometry-Harold-Jacobs/dp/B00BHLMZJA/ref=pd_sim_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=M6CY1YR35CJN0Y3B8JD1

Text-https://www.amazon.com/Geometry-Harold-R-Jacobs/dp/071671745X/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1484254655&sr=1-2-fkmr1&keywords=jacobs+geometry+second+edition

A lot of people like Teaching Textbooks Geometry. The rest of the series doesn't always review well, but the geometry course seems to work for lots of families.

Hope this helps!

Edited by elladarcy

My son used Thinkwell for 6th, pre-alg, alg1, and geometry.  For geometry, we used Schaum's outlines for extra problems.  Son really enjoyed the TW series. Though we have switched to Derek Owens for alg 2 (I like the way DO hand grades hw and tests that forces him to show his work).  TW must have prepared him well because he has consistently higher scores with DO than he did with TW. 

My son used Thinkwell for 6th, pre-alg, alg1, and geometry. For geometry, we used Schaum's outlines for extra problems. Son really enjoyed the TW series. Though we have switched to Derek Owens for alg 2 (I like the way DO hand grades hw and tests that forces him to show his work). TW must have prepared him well because he has consistently higher scores with DO than he did with TW.

Curious how proofs get graded in thinkwell geometry?

We will be travelling, and so I'm looking for a text-book independent math. In our case, it doesn't have to be the most rigorous as he will likely repeat some math in brick and mortar high school...

Part of the reason I took over my son's math education was that his old school uses EveryDay Math, University of Chicago. The kids using it understand math at the end, but lack proficiency because of the way it is taught (shows in the standardized test scores). For example, as late as 5th grade (at a new middle school now, so I don't know about 6th), it still teaches multiplication by clustering groups of seven. er, two groups equal 14. Also, the very few practice problems tend to be narrative (hard to explain, but no not a word problem) If geometry is anything like this, watch out. My solution was to by old school text books for the early years, and have him to his 30 standard type problems a day.

what old school book did u use?

We will be travelling, and so I'm looking for a text-book independent math. In our case, it doesn't have to be the most rigorous as he will likely repeat some math in brick and mortar high school...

Maybe look at Silicon Valley Online High School? We've got some friends who are using this as a spine for several subjects and then supplementing. I think they are using health, English and Spanish. They're still in Algebra and using Derek Owens, so I can't comment specifically on the Geometry, though.

Thinkwell is auto graded.  Immediate scoring is great.  But,  occasionally answers are marked wrong that are technically correct because they do not match the programmed format:  example: .75  vs  3/4.

• 10 months later...