Menu

From Foerster Alg2 to DO Precalc

Do you think Foerster Algebra 2 is good preparation for Derek Owens Precalculus?

Besides the math, what other skills are needed? I am thinking taking notes from video lectures would be one. DS has had several online classes, but has not needed to take notes from video lectures for any of them. That is something we will work on in the spring. That and math handwriting  :glare: .

I am nervous about outsourcing math next year, but I really really do not want to teach Precalculus. I am also considering Wilson Hill, but Derek Owens appeals to me because it is self-paced.  

DS did:

Foerster Algebra 1 in 8th grade

Jacob's Geometry 2nd edition in 9th grade

Foerster Algebra 2 currently (10th)

Edited by Penguin

I think your son will be fine with that math background.

Taking notes from DO lectures is not too hard. For the lecture part, he has a workbook with a lot of notes already there. Part of it is basically filling in the blanks as you listen. It is also copying sample problems into the workbook. It's very different than note-taking to a blank sheet of paper.

We've found DO to be a good fit. I am doing the half-price option in which I do all the grading (with the solutions provided).

• Like 2

My Dd went for Foerster's to DO. She didn't use DO the way intended, though. She watched his videos and worked through the textbook by herself. We never submitted anything for grading. If we didn't know if her answer was correct, we just asked her brother.

She went from DO to Thinkwell for cal. It worked well for her.

• Like 2

I think your son will be fine with that math background.

Taking notes from DO lectures is not too hard. For the lecture part, he has a workbook with a lot of notes already there. Part of it is basically filling in the blanks as you listen. It is also copying sample problems into the workbook. It's very different than note-taking to a blank sheet of paper.

We've found DO to be a good fit. I am doing the half-price option in which I do all the grading (with the solutions provided). Well, you just made my day week. :hurray:

I didn't know about this possibility. I am perfectly capable of teaching precalc, but I don't want to. 

• Like 2

I was in the same boat - I can teach the math, but needed to remove myself from the main teaching.

Just ask for the half price option. Usually he sends the solutions without asking, but sometimes you have to ask. You have access to all the videos, homework, tests, solutions. Just buy the workbook (and for precalculus there is also a textbook) watch the videos and go at your own pace.

• Like 5

My older son did Foerster Alg 2 in 9th, AP Stats in 10th, and DO Precalc in 11th. Even with the year between the two, ds had no issues going from Foerster to DO. In fact, there was a lot of review (or "solidification"--however you want to look at it) during the first semester of DO. 

Younger son is in Alg 2 at Wilson Hill and will probably stick with them for Precalc. He would not do as well with self-pacing as older son. 

• Like 7

Our only successful run through Foerster's precal was when Kathy in Richmond tutored my Dd. I can't really help at all for math be you'd alg 2. My Dd that used DO only listened to his lectures. She worked through the textbook on her own. (She didn't use his notes or problems at all. If we had questions, we asked ds or looked for other online explanations.

• Like 2

My biggest issue with Foerster's is that it is heavy on problems that are intended to be solved with a calculator. I'd prefer to teach the math concepts without calculators and then show how to use calculators as well.

Yeah... We started with Foerster algebra and decided to switch to Dolciani for the same reason. Did 5-6 chapters of Dolciani. And switched back to Foerster. In the meantime I made my dd redo xtra math to make sure she at least has her facts down cold.

Foerster just works better with how dd thinks, so I've made my peace with it. She ought to be rock solid when she finishes a year and a half of Algebra 1, anyhow.

I'm poking around the precalculus because the edition MWB uses for Foerster precalc isn't widely available. I don't want to spend a lot of time tracking down a solutions manual, and then switch to DO anyhow. Dd did like DO for PreAlgebra, but she likes Foerster better right now.

Can I go off topic a smidge? Two on this thread left Foerster for DO at PreCalc. Can you comment on this? Were either of you using any other resources for Foerster, or just the book?

My son loved Foerster for Algebra I and finished it in 8th grade. He then decided to go to public high school. He took Geometry there and continued with it even though he decided to return home at the end of the semester in 9th grade as they had moved him to the best teacher.  That resulted in placing into the Advanced Algebra 2 class for 10th grade. He continued to do math and Spanish at the high school. We were excited that the class, which compresses years 3 and 4 into one year) was taught using the Foerster Alg. 2/Trig book.  However, the teacher was sub par given the goal of the class and he came home at the semester for math even though he had a "B." Ds felt like his comprehension was not as solid as it needed to be and also could not find a "groove" with the second Foerster book.

It took us a semester of messing around with self-pacing on Foerster and AoPS (loved it, but it took way too much time) to admit that he needed an outside teacher and different material. He finished the second semester of Algebra 2 with DO and then did precalculus with him as well.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation.  Think of it as a cautionary tale on how NOT to do high school math. :tongue_smilie:  My son loved the self-pacing with DO.  The lectures were the right amount of instruction as was the homework.  Mr. Owens is excellent at answering questions and is very professional in his manner.

• Like 1

Yeah... We started with Foerster algebra and decided to switch to Dolciani for the same reason. Did 5-6 chapters of Dolciani. And switched back to Foerster. In the meantime I made my dd redo xtra math to make sure she at least has her facts down cold.

Foerster just works better with how dd thinks, so I've made my peace with it. She ought to be rock solid when she finishes a year and a half of Algebra 1, anyhow.

I'm poking around the precalculus because the edition MWB uses for Foerster precalc isn't widely available. I don't want to spend a lot of time tracking down a solutions manual, and then switch to DO anyhow. Dd did like DO for PreAlgebra, but she likes Foerster better right now.

Which book are you talking about using after Algebra I?  There is the Algebra and Trigonometry book (Alg. 2) and then there is a separate Precalculus book.

For us it was about the Foerster precalc book being very different in approach to the earlier books.  We had been warned about this, but she had just LOVED Foerster before and we planned to use it all the way through calculus.  We figured we could surmount any issues.  Just as we had been warned, the Foerster precalc book switched from a more traditional explain-then-practice method to a more discovery method.  My daughter HATES the discovery method of teaching math.  It was just a disaster all the way around, which threw us for a loop because we had been such a solid Foerster family for so long with this kid.  We were also having issues with pacing, not being sure how much to do and how to pace it, but that became moot pretty quickly as it was clear we just needed to get away from Foerster altogether.  It was a tough and unforeseen start to the year, but things are going much better now with DO and the Sullivan text.  We're not sure what we'll do next year because she likes to have a textbook and I think his Calculus doesn't use a text, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

• Like 3

Something to think about. Dd doesn't hate discovery method, but Foerster is working really well for her. Looks like DO's Calc was based on Foerster, so it still may be possible to use the book? Has anyone seen the MWB videos for the PreCalc?

ETA- I think I need to with the wisdom of The Hive on this one. I think we'll plan for DO for PreCalc, too.

Edited by elladarcy

• 1 month later...

So for those of you who have the "half price option", is that the online course or something different?  So $58 per month?  

Also, anyone use the Algebra:  A Fresh Approach series?  It's been a great fit for my kids, but they stop before Precalculus!  Trying to find a good option for next year.

So for those of you who have the "half price option", is that the online course or something different?  So $58 per month?  

The half price option is $29 per month.  You get access to the videos (online), skeletal notes/workbook pages, practice problems, homework problems (which are really more like quizzes), chapter tests, and semester exams--and, apparently, solutions.  In short, everything but the grading.

• Like 1

I just was thinking about this the other day because DD is thriving in Foerster's algebra 1 but the number of problems that require a calculator is frustrating to us both. We use it with Math without Borders videos. I watch the videos with her and do additional teaching because she really isn't a fan of video or online learning .

We'll finish it for sure, but we were planning to switch to DO for geometry because we were going to use Jacobs. I am thrilled to learn that there is a half-price option for no grading. DD definitely prefers having a textbook with the material so I was thinking about switching back to Foerster's/MwB for Algebra 2. But, now it sounds like I'll just be switching back to DO for pre-calc if Foerster's switches to discovery method (which is what frustrates her about AoPS.)

How annoying is it not to have an accompanying textbook for algebra 2?