Menu

grading for high school

I have a couple questions about grading.

1) do you include classwork grades in with the overall grade for a class.  If so, so you weight them differently?  If so, what percent is classwork and what percent is test and quizzes?

2) if you include classwork in your grades...I have another question: I have my kids correct any mistakes they make before moving on...(and I am assuming that is normal), so then do you record the 1st time grade or the corrected grade (which would be 100%, because we don't move on until they have made a 100%).  Or do you give partial credit for corrected answers?

I don't want my kids to have a good grade if I am not suppose to record corrected material...but if they understand the material after redoing their work, then why shouldn't they get the good grade?

Help me understand what I am supposed to do.

thanks.

There is no "supposed to". You can do whatever you want.

I do not give grades for daily work; I expect that to be completed until it is correct. The end.

\My grades are based on tests (one per month in science, one final at the end of the year or semester in math) and longer writing assignments. We teach to mastery - the essay gets rewritten until I am satisfied.

• Like 2

I tried to have graded work be about 70 to 75 percent of the final grade. The rest of the grade would be for things like homework and discussion and was graded at 100 percent. This seems to be similar to how things are graded at the high schools my kids have attended, FWIW.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 1

I admit to not including homework / daily work in grading because while I (or they) mark the incorrect items & they have to correct them, I can't be bothered to calculate the grade all the time. In my experience, my kid's understanding & mastery of a subject is pretty obvious. If their grades on tests & quizzes don't reflect that, I have to figure out why. But usually, they do.

We don't really do grades.  Ever.  Not really.

When it came time for my kids to apply to colleges (admittedly, not highly selective ones, but ones where they are thriving nonetheless), this is what I submitted with their applications.  Their SAT/ACT scores reinforce our transcripts.

As a homeschooling family, assignment of grades is generally subjective. The academic goal is mastery; therefore, subjects are taught and retaught, if needed, until the material is thoroughly learned. In these cases, the following description for the transcript grades was used:

A = majority of the subject material was mastered; student put forth positive effort and attitude

B = some areas of the subject material were difficult to master, but overall the student learned the subject material; effort and attitude were satisfactory

*Since we teach for mastery, there is no need for us to use any grade below B except in cases of poor effort or attitude, which we rarely encounter.

However, some courses were taken outside the home (example: dual credit at community college, homeschool co-operative classes). The teacher would often use a strict percentage grading scale. In such cases, the grading scale that is typically used in Texas public schools was utilized:

A = 90-100

B = 80-89

C = 70-79

D = 60-69

F = below 60

Edited by Kinsa

Oh my goodness, this is such a relieving thread! Grading has been (for me) the hardest part of schooling high school so far. After doing zero grades for K-8, it's exhausting.  :svengo: We also correct math problems and teach to mastery. So I can just use the grades from the exams? That would be so much easier to keep track of.

Oh my goodness, this is such a relieving thread! Grading has been (for me) the hardest part of schooling high school so far. After doing zero grades for K-8, it's exhausting.   We also correct math problems and teach to mastery. So I can just use the grades from the exams? That would be so much easier to keep track of.

Sure. You can do whatever you want. You can even give one single oral final.

I've never understood why they grade every scrap of paper in ps here. Back home, there are a handful of tests throughout the year, and maybe a project or two. No daily grades for every little bit of work.

I agree with Kinsa in that I teach to mastery and most of my grades are subjective. When I give tests, it is easy to get an A as the student has already been taught to mastery. I don't give a bunch of tests however.

On daily work, if it wrong, it gets corrected. If is is not understood, it gets retaught.

In subjects that my inclination has been that my child may not be able to do A work, I've outsourced and they've objectively received A's from outside teachers.

I don't worry much about "my" grades being good as we also have AP exams and ACT scores that reflect excellence.

• Like 2