Menu

How to paint large amount of wall space

bethben

I'm just checking to make sure I'm not a crazy lady.  We have A LOT of walls painted a grey green color.  It's not a horrible color, but just too dark for my tastes.  It goes throughout our whole downstairs (living room, family room, kitchen, dining) and up our stairs into a smaller hallway at the top.  While I wouldn't paint the two story foyer, I am thinking about painting the rest of the house.  Am I crazy?  What would make this job easier?  Do paint sprayers work?

You have to do a LOT of prep to use a sprayer and cleanup is time consuming. You have to do prep to use a roller, but not as much. You'll want to tape around trip when you're using a roller. But you have to cover trim to use a sprayer.  (And probably cover windows, doors, and floors, too)  If you're a pro using a sprayer you can avoid that much prep, but a first time user probably means extensive prep work. 

We use rollers for one job and then toss them (cover w saran wrap between coats so we don't have to wash them) and line the paint tray w a disposable liner. Clean up time is just a few minutes. 

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 1

Sounds like what I did, adding in a den and a breakfast nook.  I used three different shades of the same color, darkest in the dining room, lighter in the LR and lightest in the family room/kitchen/breakfast nook...adn I think that is what my den is, too. I've painted a LOT of walls in my day, and here is what I have come to consider the needful equipment.  

Good quality roller.  Get one you can add an extension bar to, one that has a hexagonal, not a round shape.  The round ones give or bend more easily.  The roller handle should be long enough that you can acquire some height while applying good pressure.  If the "goose neck" of the handle is too long, you can't get enough pressure.  If it's too short, you have to go up and down steps a lot more often.  

Roller covers (the paint "brush").  Get the right texture for the walls you are painting and the type of paint you are using.  If you paint on Monday and will paint on Tuesday, wrap the roller (handle excluded, but still attached) really well in plastic wrap.  Don't wash roller covers.  They never work as well again, and it is an enormous time sink to get them really clean.  

Paint pan with liners.  Liners make clean up faster.  I wash mine as long as they are easy to wash--which is quite a few uses--but after awhile, they get gunky and you can just toss them.  It's less work than working with the pan directly.

Plastic pouring lids for the gallon paints.  This makes it SO EASY to add more paint without getting slop all over.  

A 1" good quality angled brush, and a 1.5" or 2" good quality angled brush.  I usually use the 1.5", but some spots are pretty tight.  

A brush wire-comb for cleaning.  It makes it a hundred times easier to get the brushes clean.  And you have to clean them pretty often...after about 45 minutes of painting, in my case.  It keeps the paint fresher.

A hand-held container for pints of paint.  It keeps you from having to go up and down the step ladder while you are cutting in at the ceiling.  Get the disposable liners.  

Microfiber wash cloths.  Keep a damp one handy.  

Spackle.  I don't use a knife for anything like a nail or screw hole.  Just poke it in with my finger and then smooth it out and then wipe off the extra with a damp rag.  Use the purple kind.  It's easier to see where you need to clean it off, and it dries white.  

Green tape--not blue.  Use it to help you cut in evenly.  You put the tape down and then run a damp rag over it to release some lightweight glue that keeps the paint from seeping.  It is a LOT better than the old "blue tape" but only if you use it as you are supposed to.  

Plastic sheeting to throw over furniture near the walls.  Rollers spatter.  Drop cloths (old sheets) for the floor. 

A light-weight, easy to maneuver short stepladder.  It should have enough steps for you to reach the cutting-in-the-ceiling part. 

I am a very tidy painter; I can paint in my Sunday best and stay clean.  But if you aren't, set aside some clothes to paint in.  And maybe invest in more than old sheets for drop-cloths.  

Here are some process hints.

1.  Watch some YouTube videos before you start.  You can learn a lot and save yourself a lot of trouble.  

2.  Get pint samples of the colors you are choosing, and paint big swatches on all the walls you will paint.  The same paint color can look extremely different on two walls.  I ended up repainting a wall because I didn't do this and that particular wall ended up looking a shade lighter than the other walls with the same paint.  It didn't look right.  Also paint looks lighter when it is dry, so it is easy (if you are like me) to go too light and then have to re-do it all to get the color you want.

3.  PRIME.  It doesn't have to be expensive primer, but use a primer coat, especially as you are going dark-to-light.  I didn't prime my den and ended up doing three coats of paint to get the dark gray/purple covered evenly.  In the other rooms that had this same color, I used a good primer and ended up painting only two coats, and the color was even throughout the room.  That is a lot of time saved.  Note that most of the paints that promise "one coat coverage" have a LOT of gray pigment in them...and it shows in the end.  It's better to do the two coats and get a clear color, if you ask me.  

4.  Take off all the switch plates and outlet plates.  It is just as fast as cutting in around them.  In addition, write the name of the paint and its number on the back of the light switch.  Then you will always have a record of what paint was used in that room.  

5.  Take good care of your brushes.  They will last longer, and be more pleasant to use.  When you wash them, use a paper towel to squeeze the water out of them, and then put them back into shape and let them dry.  Store them in the box they came in.  That will protect them and keep them from getting stray bristles (argh) or bent tips.  

I enjoy painting, at least moderate painting projects.  I really want to change the color in my den now...it is really too...bleah...but after downsizing and selling a beach house, I have too much stuff in here to move it around, and the thought of attempting it...:::weeps:::.

Have fun!  Get some pretty color in your house!  :0)

For ME, that is dark.  It's hard to tell with lighting and so on.  A paint color we loved in one house didn't work at all in a house 3 miles away because it had big eaves and shut out a lot more light.  But this is dark enough that I would definitely prime it first.  

The house we moved in to had dark gray-purplish walls.  When I painted them, unlike the previous owners, I found that they had painted over pretty much the color I was putting down.  :::eyeroll:::

And that is not the first time that has happened to me.  :0)  I think both this house and the other house kind of know what colors they need to be.  You might be surprised at what colors will work == they look AWFUL in the store, but when you get them on the wall, everyone who comes in and sees it wants the paint color.  That was the "old lady makeup" color.  It might look awful on old ladies, but it was a great wall color.  :0)

Here's the paint color that is throughout my entire house.  All bathrooms, bedrooms, and every inch of living space.  This is pretty dark correct?

It would seem dark to me if every room was this color. One room as part of a larger area, like dining room going into living room and living room being a lighter color would be okay for me.

Patty Joanna wrote the book on painting. There is nothing to add...other than if it sounds overwhelming, check what interior paint job would cost. My aunt used to hire retired contractors / painters and get a great job for less $.

And that is not the first time that has happened to me.  :0)  I think both this house and the other house kind of know what colors they need to be.  You might be surprised at what colors will work == they look AWFUL in the store, but when you get them on the wall, everyone who comes in and sees it wants the paint color.  That was the "old lady makeup" color.  It might look awful on old ladies, but it was a great wall color.  :0)

The old lady make-up color reminded me of a color we used very liberally in our entire house: Amberwove. It came from Lowe's.

I would try it again - in fact I am contemplating it right now, or rather for a project after the holidays.

Do be sure you buy all the paint you think you'll need, and then some, all at once.  Even though we had the exact information, when we needed more for our large project, they just couldn't quite match it.  We wound up having to repaint some of it just to make the line where the two colors were slightly off not seem so bad.  Very, very frustrating when we were almost done, and only short by half the hallway wall!

And the cheap red painters rags leave red smudges that are really hard to get off.  

I discovered that I could put the whole paint tray inside a rubbermaid tote.  When I was done, I could just snap the lid on, and leave the roller and brushes inside.  That made it possible for me to just run in and paint a section for 10 minutes or so, and then go back to life with toddlers again.  

If your walls aren't textured, you can maybe get away with one of those metal straight edge things, and a good brush when you are cutting in.  Dh is steady enough that he hardly tapes anything anymore, and that makes everything go so must faster.

I highly recommend getting the canvas drop cloths.  The plastic ones were just so cumbersome, and flopped all over the place.  We splurged on the canvas for our last big painting project, and it was SO much better.  As a bonus, the kids now use the drop cloths to make tents and etc in the backyard!

We are working on painting our entire house- including the two story foyer. Everything said above was super helpful and you can paint a two story foyer with the extension poles fairly easily. The hardest part for us is removing wallpaper and sanding the walls to make them paint-able. The only other things I would say is to try out a paint sample of what color you want. The light in your house might be different than you expect. Pretty much all grey colors look purple in our living room which I never would have thought of.

The color you have on your walls would drive me crazy, especially since you have so much of it. But both my husband and I like much lighter colors.

We also like lighter colors.  They make me feel happy.  When we bought the house, the previous owner had decorated in browns and blacks.  So, there's the green/gray color on the walls, dark brown floors, dark brown cabinets in the kitchen.  Then she had dark brown curtains and mostly black furniture.  It was a little dreary.  We brought in the red curtains and lighter rugs and furniture, but after living here almost two years, I've decided I really hate this paint color.  We get a lot of sun here and even with the rooms that are awash in light all the time, it still feels dreary.  Thankfully, I have found that Sherwin Williams sends out a color consultant for free and will give you a $75 gift card if you buy paint at their store for your trouble.  I think I'll also get quotes on how much this will all cost to paint.  We have more time since my youngest is 9, but it's energy that we tend to lack, so we'll see how much someone will charge.  

Sounds like what I did, adding in a den and a breakfast nook. I used three different shades of the same color, darkest in the dining room, lighter in the LR and lightest in the family room/kitchen/breakfast nook...adn I think that is what my den is, too. I've painted a LOT of walls in my day, and here is what I have come to consider the needful equipment.

Good quality roller. Get one you can add an extension bar to, one that has a hexagonal, not a round shape. The round ones give or bend more easily. The roller handle should be long enough that you can acquire some height while applying good pressure. If the "goose neck" of the handle is too long, you can't get enough pressure. If it's too short, you have to go up and down steps a lot more often.

Roller covers (the paint "brush"). Get the right texture for the walls you are painting and the type of paint you are using. If you paint on Monday and will paint on Tuesday, wrap the roller (handle excluded, but still attached) really well in plastic wrap. Don't wash roller covers. They never work as well again, and it is an enormous time sink to get them really clean.

Paint pan with liners. Liners make clean up faster. I wash mine as long as they are easy to wash--which is quite a few uses--but after awhile, they get gunky and you can just toss them. It's less work than working with the pan directly.

Plastic pouring lids for the gallon paints. This makes it SO EASY to add more paint without getting slop all over.

A 1" good quality angled brush, and a 1.5" or 2" good quality angled brush. I usually use the 1.5", but some spots are pretty tight.

A brush wire-comb for cleaning. It makes it a hundred times easier to get the brushes clean. And you have to clean them pretty often...after about 45 minutes of painting, in my case. It keeps the paint fresher.

A hand-held container for pints of paint. It keeps you from having to go up and down the step ladder while you are cutting in at the ceiling. Get the disposable liners.

Microfiber wash cloths. Keep a damp one handy.

Spackle. I don't use a knife for anything like a nail or screw hole. Just poke it in with my finger and then smooth it out and then wipe off the extra with a damp rag. Use the purple kind. It's easier to see where you need to clean it off, and it dries white.

Green tape--not blue. Use it to help you cut in evenly. You put the tape down and then run a damp rag over it to release some lightweight glue that keeps the paint from seeping. It is a LOT better than the old "blue tape" but only if you use it as you are supposed to.

Plastic sheeting to throw over furniture near the walls. Rollers spatter. Drop cloths (old sheets) for the floor.

A light-weight, easy to maneuver short stepladder. It should have enough steps for you to reach the cutting-in-the-ceiling part.

I am a very tidy painter; I can paint in my Sunday best and stay clean. But if you aren't, set aside some clothes to paint in. And maybe invest in more than old sheets for drop-cloths.

Here are some process hints.

1. Watch some YouTube videos before you start. You can learn a lot and save yourself a lot of trouble.

2. Get pint samples of the colors you are choosing, and paint big swatches on all the walls you will paint. The same paint color can look extremely different on two walls. I ended up repainting a wall because I didn't do this and that particular wall ended up looking a shade lighter than the other walls with the same paint. It didn't look right. Also paint looks lighter when it is dry, so it is easy (if you are like me) to go too light and then have to re-do it all to get the color you want.

3. PRIME. It doesn't have to be expensive primer, but use a primer coat, especially as you are going dark-to-light. I didn't prime my den and ended up doing three coats of paint to get the dark gray/purple covered evenly. In the other rooms that had this same color, I used a good primer and ended up painting only two coats, and the color was even throughout the room. That is a lot of time saved. Note that most of the paints that promise "one coat coverage" have a LOT of gray pigment in them...and it shows in the end. It's better to do the two coats and get a clear color, if you ask me.

4. Take off all the switch plates and outlet plates. It is just as fast as cutting in around them. In addition, write the name of the paint and its number on the back of the light switch. Then you will always have a record of what paint was used in that room.

5. Take good care of your brushes. They will last longer, and be more pleasant to use. When you wash them, use a paper towel to squeeze the water out of them, and then put them back into shape and let them dry. Store them in the box they came in. That will protect them and keep them from getting stray bristles (argh) or bent tips.

I enjoy painting, at least moderate painting projects. I really want to change the color in my den now...it is really too...bleah...but after downsizing and selling a beach house, I have too much stuff in here to move it around, and the thought of attempting it...:::weeps:::.

Have fun! Get some pretty color in your house! :0)

SPOT ON advice here.

I just painted 9 rooms of my house...In about a week. Here's my 2¢...

The set up, moving of stuff, paint shopping, clean up, etc takes forever. Get your stuff, get set up, then go go go. You can easily paint a room in a day start to finish. If one cuts and one rolls, it goes fast. My kids were qualified rollers at about 11. One tends to drip, so they get monitored more. Do a coat, wrap towers in saran wrap, let it dry, go back and finish.

Primer really does help in the long run.

Brush and roller cover quality also makes a difference.

The best paint I used (and I used a lot!) was Lowe's gold label. It's about $45/gallon but has great coverage and color. Easily as nice as $75/gallon BM. They also have good sales and took a can back on return when the color was horrific.

Kids can help a TON. If they can't roll, they can step and fetch and move ladders, wipe down base boards, get paper towels, etc.

It's really not bad once you get going. Have fun!!