Menu

I need a new electric hand mixer...

ProudGrandma

which one should I get?  If you have one that you love, (or hate)....will you please let me know what brand you have?  and why you love or hate it?  

I have a KA, so I don't need a big, fancy one...just a simple one...but I don't want it to die right away.

thanks.

Edited by NEprairiemom

I do NOT recommend Cuisinart for hand mixers.  I've burned through two in just a few years- and not even doing anything crazy, just the occasional cake batter or frosting.

This last time I went and bought a cheap Hamilton Beach from WM because if I'm going to have to replace every year or so, I might as well get a cheap one to begin with.

I can tell you which one I wouldn't get.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009VUHLHA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is slow as mud even on its fastest speed.  I make few things with a hand mixer, mostly mashed potatoes and some cookie doughs.  My mashed potatoes always have lumps and I can mix the cookie batter better by hand.  ETA: It also smells like the motor is burning every time I use it.

I need to buy a new one, but I am upset I bought this one and don't want to spend more money.

Edited by YaelAldrich

wow...that one has great reviews.  It is things like that that make me doubt the reviews on amazon.  thanks for sharing.

That's why I bought it (and the KA name). It does until you look deeper at the negative ratings.  They all say it is slow and I thought maybe they were comparing it to a stand mixer (which I don't have.  I must be the only Orthodox Jew without one - we bake a lot).  No, compared to the $10-15 mixers I have been buying since I started cooking 25 years ago, it really is slow as mud and does a bad job of mixing.

I just bought a Hamilton mixer at Target for $16 which has consistently good ratings at Amazon and Target.  The thing people say on that one is that the chrome comes off the beaters.  That I can handle.

I have a cheap hamilton beach from walmart that I'm hoping dies soon. It mixes well enough, but even on the lowest speed, it's super fast and I have to be very careful not to make a big mess in the kitchen. I don't think I've ever put it on a speed higher than 2 because at 2, I worry it's going to take off and fly away!