Menu

How to find businesses owned by certain groups of people

Amira

Clunky title, but I'm trying to figure out how to find businesses owned by certain demographics (women, millennials, immigrants, etc).  I've searched quite a bit online and come up with very little.  I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of different Chambers of Commerce to see if they have any suggestions.  Do you have any suggestions?

I'm specifically looking for refugee-owned businesses in the US or Canada, but if you know how to find this information for other groups, I'd love your advice.

If you mean recent arrival from war torn countries, i doubt that they own businesses that are identifiable by public record searches.  They probably work for immigrant owned businesses where they need little, if any, English.  You might start by looking in the ethnic enclaves of your community.  or, in some communities, an entire industry is run by one group. for example, the independent hotel/motel group in Oakland is run by one ethnic group. 

• Like 1

Thomasnet formerly known as the Thomas Registry. You can find suppliers that are minority owned.

http://certifications.thomasnet.com/certifications/

I also suggest you call a reference librarian 😊

Eta: this used to be available only in a library, I just got on from home but had to create a free account. It is for the US and Canada.

Edited by sarasue7272
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. The Chamber of Commerce suggested I contact the United Way to see if they had any ideas so I'll try them too.

Yes, I am just trying to create a useful resource for people to go to if they want to support refugee-owned businesses. Since refugees are often supposed to be self-sufficient within a year of resettlement, supporting their businesses can be really important. I've found a few lists for a couple of cities but I'm hoping to find a lot more.

What about calling refugee assistance groups to see if they have internal lists? 

This is what Iw as going to suggest. MIL volunteers with a charity that helps refugees resettle and they would undoubtedly have a local list. Not sure about any statewide or national resources.

ETA: Check with International Rescue Committee (IRC) as well.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 1