Menu

Where could I get an Algebra two semester one Final Exam?

I know it's an odd thing to ask because not all math programs would be at the same point exactly halfway through the year but I'd like to test my son's Algebra 2 knowledge with a test NOT from the Saxon system.  This way I can see how he's really doing as compared to other programs.  (considering a mid-year switch to Derek Owens)

Derek Owens will send you a placement test if you send him an email and ask for one. Since you're considering switching to his program, just tell him you're considering his Algebra 2 and you want to see if your son is ready. If you explain the situation, he might be able to send you an Algebra 2 mid-term exam as a placement test and see how that goes. Mr. Owens is friendly and easy to work with. (He sent me both a pre-algebra test and an Algebra 1 test when we were in the process of switching to his program.)

Per his website, inquiries and information requests should be sent to: help@derekowens.com

Edited by TarynB
  • Like 3

Glad Mark T posted the second semester exam link. My kid (Foerster Alg 2) hasn't covered some of the stuff on the 1st semester exam, but she's covered a large portion of the 2nd semester stuff (logs, asymptotes, inverse functions, matrices). Watch your scope/sequence!

• Like 2

Interesting.

As it turns out the scope and sequence is so different my son would have to start the year almost completely over with DO. So we will stick it out with Saxon. I will be looking at ways to supplement or improve his grades though...but afraid to add too much on since he has a fairly heavy workload and studying for an AP and SAT Biology this coming semester.

I emailed Dr shormann for ideas as well as looking for a local tutor so we will see

Right now he has an 81 average in Saxon which concerns me as he hasn't hit a ton of new material yet

;)

• Like 1

Interesting.

As it turns out the scope and sequence is so different my son would have to start the year almost completely over with DO. So we will stick it out with Saxon. I will be looking at ways to supplement or improve his grades though...but afraid to add too much on since he has a fairly heavy workload and studying for an AP and SAT Biology this coming semester.

I emailed Dr shormann for ideas as well as looking for a local tutor so we will see

Right now he has an 81 average in Saxon which concerns me as he hasn't hit a ton of new material yet

;)

Yes Scope and Sequence for different programs for Algebra 2 and even their overlap with Precalc can be quite different so once you get half-way through it is hard to change.

How about slowing up the math pace a little and carry it into early next summer.  After AP season ends, you can crank up the math pace again. (obviously discuss with your student).  Lay out the lessons on a calendar.

For now, spend some time reviewing the material that has been covered already but not yet mastered.

• Like 1

Agreeing with Mark.

I would either back up 10 lessons and redo them or --what I do with Saxon is figure out the problem (let's say Ds consistently misses concepts from lesson 31) and go back and reread/teach that lesson and then redo all the problem that relate to that lesson.

Kahn academy can help with targeted review.

Also, I give DS s chance to redo the problems on tests do I can see if he just missed them from carelessness or lack of understanding . Then I target that skill and review it before moving on. I also keep up with his daily work and go over missed problems with him.