Menu

Another Latin Question: Pronouns

I'm not getting Latin possessive pronouns; I missed the message in the lesson somewhere.

According to the answer key in our book, the imperative sentence "Lift up your hands" is translated into Latin as "Tolle manus tuas". Why tuas? I understand both are feminine, but I don't get why tuas.

Likewise, according to the answer key in our the book, the imperative sentence "Make my day" is translated into Latin as "Fac diem meum ". Why meum when diem is feminine?

OK, I thought my book says dies was feminine and this is why I was so confused; I thought I missed some thing important in the lesson. So there's either a typo in my book (which memorial press has quite a bundle of them ) or I just miss read that gender.

Dies is usually masculine.

I might be mistaken, but I thought you were using memorial press also. We are using third form Latin and it's kicking our butt. We dothe work conscientiously, but it seems like when we try to translate a sentence there's always some little thing in the sentence the trips us up and winds up having sentence be wrong. I don't know if this is typical and we just have to keep practicing, or if we're idiots.

Yeah, they got me yesterday, too. I remembered the declensions for both nouns but completely forgot that manus is feminine and dies is masculine. Keeping track of everything in a Latin sentence taxes my brain quite a lot at times. :laugh:

• Like 1

I might be mistaken, but I thought you were using memorial press also. We are using third form Latin and it's kicking our butt. We dothe work conscientiously, but it seems like when we try to translate a sentence there's always some little thing in the sentence the trips us up and winds up having sentence be wrong. I don't know if this is typical and we just have to keep practicing, or if we're idiots.

Oh, yeah. I'm using MP Third Form too. Yes, it routinely kicks my butt and makes me feel like I probably ought to go back and do Second Form all over again. I study and study and study and it still whips me. I figure it's good for my soul. Or my hide. I'm not sure. :lol:

I plan to just persevere and be stupid for a while. I think it's just taking my brain a while to find new places to stick stuff.

OMG, yes! My dad was sick and died late last school year, and we had to drop First form to take a break and pick it back up this school year. When we picked it back up, I always felt I hadn't mastered it like we did first form (especially the third and fourth conjugations), but we plugged on anyway because life goes on and I thought we could review as we went this year. I think we are going to have to do a really intensive review of third conjugations, but I don't know if that's going to help us. Something always trust us up with the conjugations....a word order, a screw up on verb tense, choosing ora for speak instead of Dico, and so on.

Oh, yeah. I'm using MP Third Form too. Yes, it routinely kicks my butt and makes me feel like I probably ought to go back and do Second Form all over again. I study and study and study and it still whips me. I figure it's good for my soul. Or my hide. I'm not sure. :lol:

I plan to just persevere and be stupid for a while. I think it's just taking my brain a while to find new places to stick stuff.

• Like 1

Hmm, now ya'll are getting me worried. DS and I are starting Third Form after Christmas. I started Henle in February, using MP's study guide. I am about half way through the second study guide (starting third conjugation). However, I did First Form twice already with my boys and this year my DD is going through it, so I think I have a pretty good handle on it.

• Like 2

It's a significant step up from second form; the lessons are longer and what is presented substantially adds to the brain load of what you have to remember and know for translations. That's what makes it so much harder. But the material is well presented, just as you would expect from memoria press.

Hmm, now ya'll are getting me worried. DS and I are starting Third Form after Christmas. I started Henle in February, using MP's study guide. I am about half way through the second study guide (starting third conjugation). However, I did First Form twice already with my boys and this year my DD is going through it, so I think I have a pretty good handle on it.

• Like 2

It's a significant step up from second form; the lessons are longer and what is presented substantially adds to the brain load of what you have to remember and know for translations. That's what makes it so much harder. But the material is well presented, just as you would expect from memoria press.

True that. 

• Like 2