Menu

Self education: books you have learned from recently?

These look great!

• Like 1

I'm continually reading painting books in an effort to improve. The most helpful one I've read recently was about composition. I wrote about it here: http://www.nmsgwatercolors.com/more-summer-doings/

Does reading a Magic Treehouse book in Spanish count? Judging by the cover, I am going to learn something about tigers. : )

Nan

Absolutely Magic Tree House in Spanish counts!

I attempted The Horse and His Boy in Japanese recently but it seems I've lost too much of my kanji reading skills even for that (only requires maybe third grade skills less common kanji are accompanied by phonetic markings).

I wonder if I could get Magic Tree House books in Japanese; they're geared at a bit younger kids so might have all the helps I need :)

I posted here awhile back looking for study guides or teaching helps for Aristotle's Poetics. I found this, and enjoyed it very much. Dd is now reading it.

We're about to read Shakespeare's Julius Caesar and Antony & Cleopatra. To fill myself in on the background/true history of the plays, I'm reading Cleopatra and Antony: Power, Love and Politics in the Ancient World and finding it excellent - just the right amount of detail/background, and very readable.

When we finish ancient Rome we'll be doing some medieval British history, so I'm reading 1066: The Year of the Conquest. Again, a highly readable account that covers historiography as well as history, and gives a good sense of what life was actually like, for the common folk in England, just before the Conquest.

We're also going to be reading Jane Austen, and for fun I picked up A Jane Austen Education: How Six Novels Taught Me About Love, Friendship, and the Things That Really Matter by William Deresiewicz, the author of Excellent Sheep, another great book about education. It's part memoir and part lit crit, and thoroughly enjoyable.

• Like 1

I just requested the How the Grinch Stole Christmas in Latin. Every year I can decode more and more of it. :)

Other than that, I am reading a Bible Through the Ages History book with the kids, The Epic of Gilgamesh with them, How to Draw Everything, watching YouTube art videos, and just picked up a book, How to Get into Art School to start looking at with dd12. So constantly learning, but usually with the kids during the school year. Short articles here and there I can squeeze in from online or magazines are helpful, but nothing too deep going on right now.

• Like 1