Menu

Best magazine on self-sufficiency?

Is Mother Earth News still popular?

Funny you should mention it. I spent some time at the library today reading the current issue because I was thinking that this might interest my sixteen year old.

The current issue had several interesting articles: one featured a general template on table making, another on home brewed beer, one on sustainability in Japan, plus some interesting ideas like making pizza in a cast iron skillet. It was a fun read.

Jane

Dh has a new interest in this, and I'm always on alert for Christmas gifts for him because he's somewhat limited in his hobbies because of mobility issues.

Is Mother Earth News still popular?

Some that we particularly like are:

Countryside -- lots of contributions from real people make it extremely useful.

Mother Earth News -- still good, but I'd recommend getting their back issues CD. It has 25+ years of the magazine on it. The older issues were GREAT for how-to.

Hobby Farm -- excellent if you do have some acreage or plan on having some.

Hobby Farm Home (see the Hobby Farm home page) -- I just like this one so much! Lots of info on the 'inside the home' side of the equation; stuff like crafting useful items, canning and preserving, some gardening, etc.