Menu

Does anyone here know anything about Musgatova Method?

drjuliadc

http://masgutovamethod.com/

I met a mom of a child with autism and PANS recently who told me this method helped her son.  I have never heard anything about it and wanted to know if any of you had.

This mom is the type who has tried everything and her she utilized PROMPT and liked it.

Interesting that she had sent her son to a BrainBalance center and it didn't help at all.  I know it doesn't work for everyone, but every person I had been in contact with before meeting her did well with it.

I think she heard later that BrainBalance doesn't work for children with PANS.  I had never heard of PANS before she told me about it, only PANDAS.

When a mom who has tried everything is excited about the results of something for autism I pay close attention.

I have heard some good anecdotes from local moms who swear by it but the whole reflexes thing is not something that I've seen good evidence for. I wouldn't necessarily consider it "quackery" but it's not something that would be a high priority for my time and money. There are lots of other things that I would try first as they have some actual research evidence to support.

It looks like RMT? RMT is what is popular here for reflexes.

I literally am just home from an IEP meeting where I declined it for my younger son as I don't think it is a good use of his time or appropriate for him right now.

My older son has done RMT and maybe it has helped.

For RMT there are symptoms or clusters of symptoms that they think will be helped. My older son had one of those symptom clusters. Yes, definitely. He needed OT anyway. Yes, definitely.

For my younger son, he just doesn't fit the symptom clusters I am familiar with. He just doesn't.

However I am always happy when things work for people! Kids are so different!

I also think that building a relationship with another person is so important, and can be so important, and that sometimes that counts for more than the specific therapy.

But I think specific therapies matter a lot, too, and overall I would hope for the therapy that seemed like it would best meet needs plus a therapist able to build a relationship, and have both things in the same package.

I have not heard of that method but I am trying a very similar method with two of my kids with retained reflexes. My ds had a eye exam with a COVD two years ago. They found retained reflexes and gave me movements to do at home with him. It quickly fell by the wayside since it seemed a little out there to me. I have seen it brought up here periodically. My youngest had an appointment recently and they gave her some exercises and movements to do. This time I am going to give it a try for both of them. There is not a lot of research out there right now but it is just something that has not been looked into much. I know the providers that use it though see big changes as the reflexes get integrated. It does not take a lot of time and is pretty easy to do so I figure it is worth a try.

My issue with my younger son is it is suggested bc he has autism, not because he has retained reflexes. That does not make sense to me.

For my older son it was connected to symptoms he was showing.

With my older son it was easy and simple for him to do the exercises, too.

My younger son not so much, but that just means he needs it? (This will be an explanation sometimes.). How about he just doesn't like it? Anyway it is not worth him having a bad time.

Definitely for most kids it would not be a bad time, but somewhere between the techniques and the person doing them it is not a good fit for him. And other things are a better fit.

I have no familiarity with this and a quick skim of the website doesn't tell me much - I assume this is some sort of OT for retained reflexes or something similar.

I do know a lot about PANS/PANDAS.  I can't imagine what OT would have to do with PANS, at least it wouldn't sound like an efficient treatment angle IMO when it comes to root causes and such, though I try to keep an open mind.