Menu

MBA programs

Rachel

My husband has been toying with getting his MBA ever since he graduated college 9 years ago. The timing seems right as his current project is at a point where he can handle a full time job, family, and school. His company does offer tuition reimbursement although I assume we will still have out of pocket expenses. I would prefer to keep those as minimal as possible, but I am realistic about tuition costs.

What programs should he check into? It would need to be online or online with occasional residental requirements that are known in advance as he travels quite a bit for work. It must be accredited. The school name should be nationally recognized but doesn't have to be top tier.

He has his BS in mechanical engineering, his PE, and his PMP (project management certification). He works in project management in the gas industry. He likes the field of work he is in but would prefer to work his way up in management of people vs projects. Any recommendations? Please feel free to PM me.

The biggest benefit to having a MBA is the alumni network and building relationships with classmates so I would strongly encourage a weekend MBA over an online one. Here is an article with school suggestions: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/brand-connect/wp/enterprise/what-you-should-know-about-the-best-part-time-mba-programs/

• Like 1

My dsil is doing his MBA online through arizona state. (that's where he got his undergrad)  it's two years - but he only has one class every six weeks - with one week off in between. (he gets every other friday off.)  he did have to fly to AZ for their initial start, and pretty sure he will need to again at some point.   his previous employer paid - then he changed jobs and had to pay them back.  his current employer does not - but they gave him a very healthy raise to work for them. (more than made up for the loss of tuition)

he's done one section with two classes - which cuts off six weeks, and they said saves them $2K.  he has plans on doing that at least one more time before he's done.    it's a lot of work to do it that way.  they also don't have any kids yet.  

if you can get a good online program  and are very self-directed, it can save a lot of back and forth between campus and home etc.  that's time.   and working full time,  married, kids, school - time is a luxury.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

Look for Executive MBA programs.  Go for the best school/ranking he can get into, because as Crimson Wife said, the alumni network is very valuable.

What does he want to specialize in? Different programs are known for different things.  Management of people usually comes as you increase up the ladder....you're given direct reports, etc. 

If his company has tuition reimbursement, there are probably schools that they work with a lot for MBAs.  Might be a good place to start, although if not well ranked, see what else you can find. 

Edited by umsami
  • Like 1

Look for Executive MBA programs. Go for the best school/ranking he can get into, because as Crimson Wife said, the alumni network is very valuable.

What does he want to specialize in? Different programs are known for different things. Management of people usually comes as you increase up the ladder....you're giving direct reports, etc.

He is in management with direct reports, he would like to move up more in his company, not change companies. An MBA is not required but will provide those opportunities earlier. He is an engineer by trade but much prefers management.

ETA he was a non-traditional student so he has been in management about 5 years. 4 with his previous company, 1 at his current company.

Edited by Rach

I would suggest he start asking at his own company. When dh was going back to school for his grad degree he asked people at his job where they would suggest he go. That made his decision very easy. It was pretty much two places and there were pluses and minuses to each. So, he picked the one that fit his situation best.

• Like 1

The interaction between the profs and multiple classmates, and between classmates, is a tremendous benefit in actual learning.  If it is possible to do an executive program, I would do that.  (Come to think of it, I DID that.)  I'm sort of out of the loop as far as how interactive online can be...and I know it is a lot better than it was back in my day...  

I'd ask the company he works for what they think about the different degree programs they hire from.  A company I used to work for was BIG on hiring MBAs but not for lower-tier or online deliverers.  That is not true for ALL companies, but I have my antennae up because of it.