Menu

Picking out a sewing machine.

MistyMountain

I have sewing projects I been wanting to do but could not due to lack of a working sewing machine. Recently we went to a thing where the kids made things for various charities. Ds really liked helping out with sewing a blanket for NICU babies. The mom who had kids working on it said that if we were looking for a sewing machine that is easy to use and a kid could use to get one with automatic tension control and a slow speed setting. My budget is very limited. Is it better to get used or a cheapie brother or singer. Are some cheap ones better then others? Please help out with recommendations for a beginner.

With a minimal budget, I would look on Craig's List as opposed to buying a cheapo machine at a big box store.  An old Singer or Kenmore would probably serve you well.  Both my son and I learned to sew on my old Singer without automatic tension or speed control!*

That said, I teach kids to sew on Janomes with the slow speed setting.  It is lovely for beginners but these machines are more of an investment.

*That old Singer is the one my parents gave me when I was 10.  I have since replaced it for personal use with a model that has some modern conveniences, but the old Singer is still going decades later.

Edited by Jane in NC

I have a 1964 Dressmaker I bought on Craig's list for $60. Best Craigslist experiencesever. Met a great couple. The woman worked as a designer in some of the fashion houses in NYC in the 60's after getting her degree in fashion design. ( and they ogled my newborn daughter.) i love this workhorse. It's easy to use, durable, and I can look up the directions online. I would never replace it with one from Walmart. They just don't hold up, as my mom sadly found out after her old singer died. This is also a good time to look as people replace their old equipment for crafts or as gifts.

I would get a used reputable brand over a new, cheap one. Look on Craigslist, Facebook buy/sell pages, etc. Put the word out that you are looking for one. I know someone who bought an old Bernina (probably 50 yrs old) at a garage sale for $20, and it works great.

Good luck!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk