Menu

my kitchenaid stand mixer died

I was mixing a cake & luckily I was just about to go back & turn it off as it was the end of the mixing time, when it just turned itself off. No smoke, no dramatic shudders, it just turned off.

It's at least 10 years old, I think closer to 12 & has been used several times a week so I don't think it 'owes' me anything but I wonder if anyone has bothered to try to repair these rather than replace?

Get it repaired! It's one of the few appliances worth repairing.

The one we have was a gift from some friends. They had just gotten it repaired when one of their children gave them a new one. So ours is a reparied Kitchen Aide that's oh, lemme see...15 or 20 years old now, at least.

HTH

I was mixing a cake & luckily I was just about to go back & turn it off as it was the end of the mixing time, when it just turned itself off. No smoke, no dramatic shudders, it just turned off.

It's at least 10 years old, I think closer to 12 & has been used several times a week so I don't think it 'owes' me anything but I wonder if anyone has bothered to try to repair these rather than replace?

My husband repaired mine twice, bless him. Kitchen Aid sent the part of the motor to their repair store somewhere in Seattle, he drove up to pick it up, rather than have the dudes there install it and charge us. The second time he got the part, the guys in the store asked him if he wanted a job, because they had no idea how to install that part. After 18 years with that baby, I finally graduated to a Viking 7 quart, and I ain't looking back.

So don't tell your husband it's fixable if you want a big-daddy super duper upgrade. If you're worried about the economy (or your husband is) then fix it. Not that big of a deal.

Thanks everyone!

I did check the circuit as we're in the kind of house where we blow circuits if we don't pay attn. It's definitely just. dead.

We'll take it apart this weekend & have a look. I think there's a parts center in Vancouver so I can get parts. I'm kind of sentimental about it. Ds was crazy about the mixer from the time he was about 9 mos old. He'd sit on the floor playing with it for HOURS (unplugged of course!)

So we took it apart this morning & found the carbon brushes totally smashed. I went to the authorized parts store & there are NONE in all of Canada so they're ordered from the US. Should arrived in 2-3 weeks.

Best part? They're $5. Unfortunately, the dude at the counter didn't know if they came in a pack of two or individually so I ordered two just in case...

Fingers crossed this is it.