Menu

Dr. Hive: Lowering iron levels

Arctic Bunny

Donating blood or chelation.

I'm a wee bit jealous - I can't keep my iron up to save my life. With supplementing my ferritin is still only about 10 right now and my hematocrit was a pitiful 35, and my midwives get very nervous about my bleeding in labor. Iron is like goldilocks - we want it in the 'just right' territory. She should call around - many naturopathic/integrative medicine practices do chelation therapy and I find it's easier to locate than an allopathic practitioner. Some do it, but less for some reason???

Edited by Arctic Mama

And her only other medical issue is GERD, which I really think is a manifestation of anxiety, but she doesn't believe me on that one.

I'd look into the chelation first and if that doesn't do it then try donating blood. I think if you're older sometimes donating can be more physically taxing, but her provider should be able to talk over her specific risk factors and decide the best course. Definitely start calling around the yellow pages for chelation therapy though :)

Well, that's a great option. Is there a reason she doesn't want to do that? It's painless, easy, and does good in the world.

Honestly, it's safer than nearly any drug or even most supplements/etc.

She just told me that she needs her doctor to sign off on her doing it because she's over a "certain age". She's had the form for ages. *eyeroll* So, as of now, I guess I have to start nagging her about that!

I hadn't thought of pipes, but you'd think her DH would be affected?

Actually, anxiety and acid reflux do tend to go together fairly often.

I wish they didn't, though! Then one wouldn't go deeper into a panic attack wondering if they're having a heart attack or acid reflux. Which makes the heartburn worse. Which makes the panic worse. Oh, when I first read about anxiety, and thinking you're having a heart attack is the number one thing, and I thought, "What?! Other people think they're having a heart attack, too?!"

• Like 1

DH carries the gene for hemochromatosis. His iron stays fairly high but so far not so high that he absolutely needs to donate blood or visit the phlebotomist regularly. Per his doctor's suggestion he watches his red meat intake, I no longer cook with cast iron ( :( ) and he avoids consuming any citrus fruit or juice when eating high iron foods.

• Like 1

My mom has hemochromatosis. She has to donate blood a few times a year. It seems that it is the standard treatment.

It's a genetic condition common in those of northern european descent. My scottish father has it and donates blood every few months. I have read that hemochromatosis developed because high iron levels are thought to be protective against plague. :zombie:

• Like 1

I know someone that has it and as he is JW and does not donate for blood transfusions he goes to the DR every 3 months and is bleed.

I know someone else who eats a very carefully planned diet that is very low in iron and he manages to  keep his levels down that way

I am one of the people who have anaemia and cannot keep my levels up anywhere close to normal- even with a high iron diet and a high iron suppliant daily