Menu

Can this be making my cat crazy?

Miss Peregrine

Yes, neutered male animals will sometimes still react to a female in heat.  My horses are all geldings and a few of them get totally crazy when they're around a mare in heat.  Poor guys still think that they're stallions!  

Spaying your female cat will probably take care of the problem.

At 8 months old, your kitten should be spayed already! Every time a cat goes into heat she increases her risk of developing cancer. She also increases her risk of straying outside and getting pregnant - or hurt!

Do you know for certain that he was neutered? ie not just information passed along from a previous owner?

Castration - or the lack thereof - is usually pretty visible. I mean, I'm sure that she's seen his butt at least once in the time she's owned him.

Edited by Tanaqui

At 8 months old, your kitten should be spayed already! Every time a cat goes into heat she increases her risk of developing cancer. She also increases her risk of straying outside and getting pregnant - or hurt!

Castration - or the lack thereof - is usually pretty visible. I mean, I'm sure that she's seen his butt at least once in the time she's owned him.

I had thought that waiting until after 6 months was better. It seems like they do them as young as 6-8 weeks now and that seems too young.

I had thought that waiting until after 6 months was better. It seems like they do them as young as 6-8 weeks now and that seems too young.

Pediatric neutering has a number of advantages. First and foremost, it means your cat will not enter puberty - no spraying, no heat cycles, no attempts to escape the house. (If you intend to give the cat away, that also means the cat will already be fixed. You simply can't trust other people to do this.) Additionally, we're finding that they recover faster and with fewer complications and what appears to be less pain than cats who are done in adulthood, and there doesn't seem to be any long-term harm. Since pediatric neutering is increasingly becoming the norm, we actually have a lot of data on this, not just speculation.

It's better to do it before the age of four months, preferably younger. The old recommendation of six months or later is completely outdated, and we now know it to be wrong.

• Like 2