Menu

College drawing class - what does "6 hours studio work" mean?

katilac

What does 6 hours of studio work mean in the description of a drawing class? 

Do they mean weekly, in addition to class time? For a drawing class, would it generally have to actually be "studio" time, as in on campus? 

This is for an intro drawing class. Full description only says, An introduction to basic drawing concepts and media. Six hours of studio work.

My dd is a fine arts student. Her 3 hour credit classes are actually 6 hours of studio time. Sometimes (many times?) she has outside work to do to finish her projects on time. Hope that helps.

Sorry, I'm being a little slow today - does the 6 hours of studio time include class time, or is it more like 9 hours per week total? 

It's more like nine hours per week total, maybe more. DS is in class part of the time and then has time to work in the studio to complete his assignments. He only has to be in class during the specific class time. The rest of the time is at his discretion, as long as the work gets done satisfactorily. For some courses much of the work can only be done in the studio or workshop due to the need for specialized equipment. His university gives students 24/7 access to studios, workshops and labs. 

I'll also give the following disclaimer: This explanation may apply only to ds' university, his degree program and/or the individual professors he has - or, all of the above! 

• Like 1

For my drawing class, we weren't really required to spend more than maybe an hour or two outside of regular class time actually in the studio.  This was all on a project that required direct observation of a set up in the studio.  We did have to work a lot outside of class, but it was on things that we could do outside of the studio.  

• Like 1

When my oldest took drawing last fall, the professor lectured for a short time, then they started a homework assignment while he walked around. Their homework was to finish that assignment on their own, and sometimes he assigned a similar project in addition to that one.

All told the class was 3 hours once a week with about 6 hours of homework on his own. The listing said 6 hours of studio time, so that was a good estimate.

• Like 2

My ds took a drawing class last year. The class met for 6 hours a week in the studio. There was no homework unless you missed a class. All work was done during class in the studio. I would expect 6 hours/week of studio time to mean the class meets in a studio for 6 hours/week. There may or may not be additional time spent working on the projects outside of class.

• Like 1

From my son's experience, a drawing course would be 6 hours of scheduled class time plus additional hours of homework or studio time with a model, still life, etc provided. For somebody majoring in an art or design related field, studio courses will take around 12 hours/week total - in and out of class. If the studio course is for non-majors, it might require less of the student.

If you ask the professor, you'll know for sure.

• Like 1