Menu

Tier 2 visas for job in UK

ktgrok

So...since we are still tossing this idea around....how does one find a job? Cyber security is listed as a shortage position, but you still need to find a job with a company that can sponsor you. I can find giant lists of companies that can sponsor people but nothing linking that list with open jobs. 

Are their recruiters that do this? That work with people from one country to hire them into another country?

• Like 1

There are specific IT job hunting sites as well as recruiters. We were surprised when we looked two years ago, however, how shockingly low salaries were compared to competitive mid-career IT positions here. 

Ok, so it's not just me that thought that? I glanced at a few via Indeed (but all required you could already work in the UK) and thought the same. 

• Like 1

Yes. There are recruiters in one country who knowingly call people in another country. About 8 years ago, when I was trying to get a temporary job assignment, after not working for many years (eg: no recent experience and not the latest computer skills) to my astonishment, one day, DD answered the phone. On the other end of the phone, was a Recruiter in the UK.  We are in Colombia.  He was calling me about a job assignment in the Detroit MI area.  It had something to do with a Cargo Door for an Airbus Civil Turbojet.  He said I had one of the best resumes he'd looked at, which I also found astonishing...   In the end, I believe the Client company in Detroit did not get the contract from Airbus.

Regarding the UK Visa application.   I need to reply to the last email I received from the TTUISD family in the UK. They've been there for approximately 5 years. However, in his case, his TX based company transferred him (an existing employee) to the UK.   I do remember her writing to me that the UK Visa application forms were very invasive.  

I was once called by a Recruiter in Paris (when I lived in TX) but that was for a job assignment in the South of France. In the end, I believe the client company (Defense related) was not able to get Security Clearances for foreign workers and that didn't work out for me.  

ETA: If you and your DH are together on this, I would suggest that he spend several hours on Monster.com giving the most complete information he can. Then, on CareerBuilder.com   Possibly on Dice.com after that and if he is a member of IEEE (I was at "Member" level for many years) he should post on their web site if they have one for employment opportunities.  

Edited by Lanny

So initial search makes it seem that salaries for information security jobs there are not enough for a family to live on, not with a single income. Am I reading that right? Looks like salaries in london are about 45,000 pounds, which is about 56,000 dollars. Um, that's really low compared to here. 100K is typical here, and over. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

So initial search makes it seem that salaries for information security jobs there are not enough for a family to live on, not with a single income. Am I reading that right?

Can you give me an idea of the income range that you are talking about?  Then I can tell you whether a British middle-class family would consider it adequate.

Can you give me an idea of the income range that you are talking about?  Then I can tell you whether a British middle-class family would consider it adequate.

Sorry, updated as you were posting. Looks like around 45,000 pounds or a bit below. 

Actually, that's for any information security engineer. When I google for his certification, I get a median of 65,000. Which sounds a bit better, but still low. http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk/cissp.do

Edited by ktgrok

Sorry, updated as you were posting. Looks like around 45,000 pounds or a bit below. 

Actually, that's for any information security engineer. When I google for his certification, I get a median of 65,000. Which sounds a bit better, but still low. http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk/cissp.do

Okay.  The median household income is £23,500.  There are some costs that will be lower (no separate health insurance) and some that will be higher (petrol).  It really depends whether you will want to live like an American, or live like a Brit.  Most Brits have tiny homes by US standards and we don't eat out much.  We have a lot of time off work, but we don't necessarily use it to travel.  We have small cars (in the UK, a Ford Focus Hatchback is described as a family car) and we don't tend to drive that much.

That certainly wouldn't cover a US-style house and a US lifestyle.  But then that's not what you probably want to go overseas for.  You would need to think hard about the South-East/London area - really expensive.

Edited by Laura Corin

Okay.  The median household income is £23,500.  There are some costs that will be lower (no separate health insurance) and some that will be higher (petrol).  It really depends whether you will want to live like an American, or live like a Brit.  Most Brits have tiny homes by US standards and we don't eat out much.  We have a lot of time off work, but we don't necessarily use it to travel.  We have small cars (in the UK, a Ford Focus Hatchback is described as a family car) and we don't tend to drive that much.

That certainly wouldn't cover a US-style house and a US lifestyle.  But then that's not what you probably want to go overseas for.  You would need to think hard about the South-East/London area - really expensive.

I'm fine with not living like an American, and actually not having to drive much, etc would be a perk as far as I'm concerned. But my husband has massive student loan debt..something I'm realizing the Brits don't have. so that's were a big chunk of his income goes each month. 

I'm fine with not living like an American, and actually not having to drive much, etc would be a perk as far as I'm concerned. But my husband has massive student loan debt..something I'm realizing the Brits don't have. so that's were a big chunk of his income goes each month.

Yes, servicing that might be an issue.

So initial search makes it seem that salaries for information security jobs there are not enough for a family to live on, not with a single income. Am I reading that right? Looks like salaries in london are about 45,000 pounds, which is about 56,000 dollars. Um, that's really low compared to here. 100K is typical here, and over. 

The cost of goods is much higher in the UK too. 

• Like 1