Menu

s/o- Working overseas

DragonFaerie

I would love to relocate to Canada or Europe (Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Norway, any of the northern countries, really), but I don't think I could find work.  I have a BA and an MA in English and teach college composition, Intro to Lit, and developmental English.  Is that even a possibility in another country?  I know there is work in Asia, but I have no interest in living there.  I'm wanting Europe or Canada.  What says the Hive?

• Like 1

In the UK you essentially need to get a job before you come, then your employer applies for a visa, based on your having unusual skills

It's not easy.

Watch out for job openings, but college composition isn't a course per se here: everyone comes to university with multiple public essay-based AP equivalent exams, so essay writing is assumed.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3

Maybe if you had a job that travels - something where you can telecommute? I know that's easier for some places if you can show you already have an income stream. But it's not enough for other places...

It doesn't work for the UK. I had American friends with an overseas income stream that had to leave.

It doesn't work for the UK. I had American friends with an overseas income stream that had to leave.

Yeah, I know it doesn't work everywhere. There are a couple of people who telecommute at dh's work who have been able to move to parts of Europe though and I'm pretty sure that was part of it - they had a steady income stream and could get longish term residency. I'm guessing it really depends but that would be an easier way to get a job for some people...

Yeah, I know it doesn't work everywhere. There are a couple of people who telecommute at dh's work who have been able to move to parts of Europe though and I'm pretty sure that was part of it - they had a steady income stream and could get longish term residency. I'm guessing it really depends but that would be an easier way to get a job for some people...

The family that I mentioned were able to move to Spain - I think they had to buy a house there to be eligible.

I think that the UK attitude might be informed by the NHS.  If someone is legally resident, they are entitled to free-at-the-point-of-need healthcare. If they have an overseas income stream, they are not only not paying income taxes (they probably wouldn't be anyway, because of double-taxation agreements) but they are also not paying into the National Insurance system that supports a lot of social services.

Or it could just be that we are a small and very highly-populated island with an ambivalent attitude to people coming from overseas.

• Like 2

I'd google the NAFTA trades/professions. I'm sure professors are on there. They can get a special work visa for Canada. I know people who did that from canada who went to the states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would I be considered a "professor" in Canada?  In the states, "professors" have to have a PhD. My title is usually "instructor."

Start looking for jobs and applying. I have US friends teaching at colleges in Europe. One is teaching in Finland with an MA from the UAE. There are possibilities out there if you look and network.

Another option is a Fulbright. That would get you somewhere else for a semester or two and can open up other opportunities.

Edited by Amira
  • Like 1

Many private schools in Egypt are hiring. There is a strong desire for children to learn English. It isn't Europe, but it is easy and relatively reasonabky priced to travel around Europe from Egypt. I met a single gal from Wisconsin who was teaching English in a private elementary school. She had been there for five years and loved it.

Teachers usually have a fairly easy time getting work/residency visas there.

• Like 2

Many private schools in Egypt are hiring. There is a strong desire for children to learn English. It isn't Europe, but it is easy and relatively reasonabky priced to travel around Europe from Egypt. I met a single gal from Wisconsin who was teaching English in a private elementary school. She had been there for five years and loved it.

Teachers usually have a fairly easy time getting work/residency visas there.

Yep! I know a girl doing this, too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to relocate to Canada or Europe (Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Norway, any of the northern countries, really), but I don't think I could find work. I have a BA and an MA in English and teach college composition, Intro to Lit, and developmental English. Is that even a possibility in another country? I know there is work in Asia, but I have no interest in living there. I'm wanting Europe or Canada. What says the Hive?

Try an American or International School?

• Like 1