Menu

Are we required to have health insurance?

Janeway

I would check with how that works in your individual state.  This varies by state in terms of what is available.  You are supposed to have insurance, but there are exception based on some circumstances.  Not having enough income is one of them.  Some states will completely subsidize you though so it is worth checking that out.

• Like 1

When dh had no insurance through work last year I did some digging.  Basically you have 90 days/3 months without penalty to go without insurance.  As long as you have insurance 9 months of the year you won't get fined.  That was my experience for last year, I do not know if that has changed this year.  I did get official tax papers from employers showing we had no insurance for 2 months and I did put that on the tax form when I filed.  We had no issues.  

• Like 1

When dh had no insurance through work last year I did some digging.  Basically you have 90 days/3 months without penalty to go without insurance.  As long as you have insurance 9 months of the year you won't get fined.  That was my experience for last year, I do not know if that has changed this year.  I did get official tax papers from employers showing we had no insurance for 2 months and I did put that on the tax form when I filed.  We had no issues.  

https://www.healthcare.gov/exemptions-tool/#/results/2015/details/short-gap

It's 2 months now.

• Like 1

Your husband should have the Cobra info in his layoff pape work.

If you choose not to purchase health insurance, you pay your shared responsibility fee for each month you dont have coverage when you file your taxes. You should go to the healthcare.gov website and see if you qualify for the short gap exemption.

https://www.healthcare.gov/fees/fee-for-not-being-covered/

Are we allowed to have a gap? How does this work? Do I need to find private insurance now?

Your kids qualify for state medical coverage if you are on unemployment. Depending on where you live, you may qualify too for expanded medicaid.

There are many exemptions from the fine for not having insurance and one of them has to do with unemployment related gaps.

You shouldn't end up paying a fine.

I would see about that state insurance ASAP.

Edited by LucyStoner