Menu

Excessive sweating in teen

teachermom2834

Mr ds 16 sweats excessively. He will shower and use anti-perspirant and within a short time have soaked through his t-shirt even if he has t done anything but sit in air conditioning. It is worse with heat, exercise, or nervousness but it is still an issue even when he isn't doing anything. We have tried a variety of products with no luck.

I am going to try to make him a doctor's appt but we don't even have a doctor right now so I need to identify someone to even see. In the meantime has anyone dealt with this and found a solution? Is there some product out there that works better than others?

Thank you!

Definitely get it checked by a doctor. This could just be puberty or he could have excessive sweating condition (btw, trivia - the actor Alan Rickman apparently had this)

Laser treatment is now being offered for it....

In meantime, try these special anti perspirants. You apply them at night. They can sting while you get used to them....

http://www.certaindri.com/home/3-certain-dri-am-everyday-strength-clinical-solid-roll-on

Edited by hornblower

My ds deals with hyperhidrosis.  He has had issues for many years.  He's 20 now.  He has tried the OTC stuff and prescription antiperspirants.  He is thin and active, but he sweats even when at rest and sleeping.  His solution(not perfect) is to wear the drycore-type t shirts as undershirts.  He wants to look into laser surgery next year.  I've heard good and bad about it, but, HE is the one who has to deal with it daily, so ultimately it will be his choice.

Good idea to have it checked out. I would first find a primary care doctor, he will need established care anyway for other needs and the GP can point you in the right direction.

Secondly, DD went through a phase like this. It was so excessive and very similar to your post. I was about to make an appt too, but it suddenly went away. I am guessing it was a surge of puberty hormones. She still has a hard time with hands, feet and finding deodorant that will work, but the soaking of clothes has disappeared. 

Thirdly, I sweat more than your average person (hands, feet, etc.) especially after a hot shower. I keep my showers cooler, run fans when I'm getting ready and have to wear cotton socks/underwear. If I get way overheated while getting ready, it is difficult to cool down. For whatever reason, when I get my undergarments and socks on right after away showering, it decreases significantly.

Hope it improves for him! 

Dd struggles with this to some extent. She often wears an undershirt (she did throughout winter, yet her school shirts are still discoloured from perspiration). She found Driclor deodorant very helpful although unpleasant, as it stings. It's a British product, I believe, but Wikipedia says it is "similar to other strong anti-perspirants using 20% aluminium chloride hexahydrate as the active ingredient".