Menu

What car did you get for your teen

DawnM

The oldest got a Toyota Corolla.  It was donated after four years and a lot of miles.  Now he has a Toyota Camry.  My second got a Mazda sedan (don't remember what kind) and she totaled it and now she and her husband have bought a fairly recent Hyundai Sonata.  My youngest has a 08 Toyota Camry and it is the newest car we own though we did buy it used.  My dh has a fifteen year old Toyota Tundra and I have a ten year old Subaru Outback. 

• Like 1

We bought a third car, not necessarily for dd17. It's a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder. It has the 4w drive and the larger body that we wanted for her. Dd and I will share the Pathfinder and my 2003 Ford Windstar. I will be driving my son (special needs, no driving) everywhere he needs to go and dd has a completely different schedule now so a third car makes sense. Dh has a company car that I am free to drive but dd can't. If dd's car is for school, I have no problem covering insurance and even paying for most of the gas. Dd driving herself places has been very liberating...totally worth it!

Edited by samba
  • Like 2

You may think I'm joking, but you might have him sit in a MINI Cooper (S) with the seat fully lowered. Tons of headroom and more legroom (with the seat fully back) than any car I've experienced. At least in the models from 2002 to the re-design. Not sure about the 2nd Gen. models (2007?).

Six airbags. BMW designed safety cage. Great active safety (meaning one can get out of the way of accidents due to unparalleled maneuverability) and great visibility.

Bill

I'll check it out, thanks!

I know so many people think they want to be tall, but it's actually a real drag.

• Like 1

I'll check it out, thanks!

I know so many people think they want to be tall, but it's actually a real drag.

I'm not 6' 9". More like just under 6 2," but I'm what is called "tall-in-the-seat."

The first thing I look for in a car is head-room. The failure rate of vehicles is over 90% (and declining, in this age of aerodynamics). My MINI is very good. Is it 6' 9" good? Worth trying, at least.

My MINI is also the first car of any kind that I've driven where if I put the seat all the way back, I'm reaching. I still remember the first time I got in one (at an autoshow in 2002) and I slammed the seat back as a test. I was gobsmacked that I had to move forward. That has not happen in any other car.

Yet I used to get the "how does a big guy like you get in such a little car comments?" all the time.

Bill

• Like 1

We have discovered the same - my husband'a little Saturn has amazing headroom compared to many vehicles with a taller profile, and it drives better too. I wouldn't say our Suburban is actually taller seat to roof, because the seat sits higher.

Granted he is 'only' 6'3", but I'd also say he has several inches above his head without issue. The seat is just really adjustable and well designed.

My big old Nissan NV is also great on head room. I have a good two feet above my head, but I'm a shorty.

I'm not 6' 9". More like just under 6 2," but I'm what is called "tall-in-the-seat."

I understand what you mean.  We call it "tall backed".  My husband, also 6'2" (he's the shortest adult male in this freaky family), has the same problem.  We ended up with a Rav 4, which he fits ok, but it's not spacious.  I wanted a Subaru Forrester (this was back when they were all greens and browns and all the advertising was about camping and such, I was in lurve), but he couldn't even sit in the thing.

• Like 1

I understand what you mean.  We call it "tall backed".  My husband, also 6'2" (he's the shortest adult male in this freaky family), has the same problem.  We ended up with a Rav 4, which he fits ok, but it's not spacious.  I wanted a Subaru Forrester (this was back when they were all greens and browns and all the advertising was about camping and such, I was in lurve), but he couldn't even sit in the thing.

Maybe a pickup truck? Or an antique VW? I do love Subarus.

Bill

• Like 1

Maybe a pickup truck? Or an antique VW? I do love Subarus.

Bill

My poor son would never get to drive if we bought an antique VW.  My dh would have it all the time.  He used to have a bug and a microbus (don't ask me what year, but I think it had louvered windows).  He would love to be in those all the time, but I require a car to have more power than a large housecat.

• Like 1

My poor son would never get to drive if we bought an antique VW.  My dh would have it all the time.  He used to have a bug and a microbus (don't ask me what year, but I think it had louvered windows).  He would love to be in those all the time, but I require a car to have more power than a large housecat.

I drove a '59 Bug during my twenties, so I know all about horsepower :D

Bill

• Like 1

I drove a '59 Bug in my twenties, so I know all about horsepower :D

Prior to buying the Bug, my Dad found a mint-condition MGB hard-top roadster in British Racing Green that he urged me to get (including offering to kick in the difference between my budget and what they were asking for the sport-car. This MG was a beauty. Perfect condition. Lacquered wood (including the steering wheel), drop dead gorgeous car.

But I didn't really fit. I could believe I passed (nor could my almost heart-broken Dad) and I still think about that beautiful car. 

But headroom is number one for me.

Bill

If she's still running, it will be our 2006 Honda Odyssey.  'Cause nothing says cool and speed like an old beat-up minivan. ;)

My first car was a Pontiac Fiero.  My Dad won it.  Looking back, I want to say "what were you thinking giving your 16 year old daughter a fire engine red Fiero?" It was a two-seater....with the engine in the back, and the spare tire under the hood.  Two seats, no air bags as far as I remember. Think...SmartCar.   Speakers in the headrests of the seats.  I loved that car. I wish I could be as cool and relaxed as my parents.