Menu

Algebra I and Math Without Borders--no tests/answers/review

LAmom

I debated for a long time what Algebra to use for my non-mathy DD.  She struggled with MM (no spiral), struggled with Saxon (way too much but great review), and did CLE 7th last year.  Anyways, I picked Foerster's Algebra and decided to help her out by buying $$ Math Without Borders so that she had some extra teacher help.  I am very disappointed that there doesn't seem to be any review and that she can't even take the tests because there are no answers....in Foerster's book or with Math W/ Borders.  I don't want to spend $$$$ 60 plus to just get the answers to the test.  :(  

Anyone else come up with a good solution?  How to add more review or how to test if you child is actually getting it?  She does have mistakes on the work and goes through the lesson on the DVD that explains the answer.  I don't know how to line this up with something like Khan Academy, etc.

Is she in eighth grade this year, or ninth? Part of the problem may be that CLE covers prealgebra in levels 700 AND 800, so if you skipped 800 and moved right into algebra, she may not have covered all of the prealgebra material that would benefit her.

Can you go back to CLE and do 800? They also have an algebra 1 level, so you could continue with it for a couple more years.

It may be that she is just not ready for algebra yet, especially if she is weaker at math and skipped over part of prealgebra.

You could buy the tests and solutions manual from Pearson:  http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PS1aRe&PMDbProgramId=9344

As for review, in Foerster's Algebra II book there is a quick review of maybe 10 problems before each problem set and a review at the end of each chapter.  Does the Algebra I book have this?  

After spending a lot of money on the book and the Math Without Borders program, I don't want to drop another 60+ just to get the answers to the tests (which the tests are in the book).  Maybe I need to though.  I see that the beginning of each chapter also has an oral drill.  Wonder if those answers are also in the solutions manual?  The textbook has the answers to the odds.  The Math Without Borders has the solution to the evens.  I am just so frustrated that this program is not complete!  There is a review at the end of the chapters, again, no answers to those.  I don't have the time or ability to sit and figure out all the answers!

Is she in eighth grade this year, or ninth? Part of the problem may be that CLE covers prealgebra in levels 700 AND 800, so if you skipped 800 and moved right into algebra, she may not have covered all of the prealgebra material that would benefit her.

Can you go back to CLE and do 800? They also have an algebra 1 level, so you could continue with it for a couple more years.

It may be that she is just not ready for algebra yet, especially if she is weaker at math and skipped over part of prealgebra.

I thought about that (and new about 800).  I decided to go ahead with Foersters because the beginning seemed liked review.  I also have her doing some MM 7 (pre algebra) to make sure she has it down.  I will monitor her a bit more closely.  I am just having a hard time seeing if she actually gets it.  Maybe I will slooow way down and have her go back and do the odds.  Forgot that the book has the answers to that!

The student book has the answers to all the odd problems, and he walks through all the solutions for the even ones. I think it has so many problems that you could have one of those for review. I don't have the book in front of me but I think there is review before the tests too; I can't remember now.

Are you teaching her with the videos, or she using the videos on her own? I watch the videos with my mathy girl. That way I'm clear what she's working on if she has questions, and they aren't long. We do some examples together and then we choose a certain number of them to do on her own. She also reviews the chapter on her own and writes down the concepts and terms in blue in her math notebook.

I'm able to easily see how she is doing and check her tests so far.

• Like 1

After spending a lot of money on the book and the Math Without Borders program, I don't want to drop another 60+ just to get the answers to the tests (which the tests are in the book).  Maybe I need to though.  I see that the beginning of each chapter also has an oral drill.  Wonder if those answers are also in the solutions manual?  The textbook has the answers to the odds.  The Math Without Borders has the solution to the evens.  I am just so frustrated that this program is not complete!  There is a review at the end of the chapters, again, no answers to those.  I don't have the time or ability to sit and figure out all the answers!

I believe the solutions manual should have the answers for everything.  If you can only buy one thing, this would be what I would buy.

• Like 1

I believe the solutions manual should have the answers for everything.  If you can only buy one thing, this would be what I would buy.

I agree that you need the solutions manual. It is part of the program and it is incomplete without it. It's just what is necessary to properly oversee this for your DD. The Solutions Manual has answers for the Oral work as well as all of the problems for each section, including tests.

For what it's worth, Algebra is a hugely important course and it's being done for credit with a grade. It's absolutely worth it to have the Solutions Manual; you need it and I believe you can't properly grade or facilitate this course of study without it.  :grouphug:  It will really help you. 

• Like 2

I agree that you need the solutions manual. It is part of the program and it is incomplete without it. It's just what is necessary to properly oversee this for your DD. The Solutions Manual has answers for the Oral work as well as all of the problems for each section, including tests.

For what it's worth, Algebra is a hugely important course and it's being done for credit with a grade. It's absolutely worth it to have the Solutions Manual; you need it and I believe you can't properly grade or facilitate this course of study without it.  :grouphug:  It will really help you. 

I am suppose to do this as a credit?  Even for 8th grade?  I have no idea....  According to Math Without Borders they aren't even suppose to take the tests?  :P  Maybe I will splurge and by the solutions manual.  But, to be clear, I am buying it for JUST the tests.  That is $60 for just the answers to tests.  Seems crazy.  I have the answers to the regular work.  

Thanks everyone for your help!

I am suppose to do this as a credit? Even for 8th grade? I have no idea.... According to Math Without Borders they aren't even suppose to take the tests? :P Maybe I will splurge and by the solutions manual. But, to be clear, I am buying it for JUST the tests. That is $60 for just the answers to tests. Seems crazy. I have the answers to the regular work.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Yes! Algebra I has to be on the high school transcript and it counts for your DD. It is not uncommon for Algebra I to be completed before high school although it doesn't have to be. I urge you to research that a bit in your state and consider how you are teaching and grading this course. I do think the Solutions manual is worthwhile. You have several kids to use it with who are coming up the ranks. If you need review then you have solutions at your fingertips as well as answers to the oral exercises and tests. 😀

Just my opinion, but if she is a weaker math student, hasn't completed a full prealgebra program yet, and is only in eighth grade, I would switch back to doing prealgebra with her this year and save algebra for ninth grade.

(By the way, the above describes DD14. She always struggled with math. She is enrolled in school for the first time this year, and is getting an A in algebra!!! We are glad we took the extra time.)

• Like 1