Menu

Social media accounts of high schoolers

Grantmom

I think I must be the one who is sheltered, as a homeschool mom.  I work in a capacity where sometimes students will follow our social media accounts.  And I am absolutely flabbergasted at the things some of the high schoolers will put on their public social media accounts, that can be seen by anyone in the world, not just friends or followers.  I mean, do they not think that people (colleges, future employers) can see this stuff?  I'm just kind of surprised.

Young people have little idea what will follow them into the future at all. I have had lots of experience with interns, both at our old church and through a friend who works with lots of interns and they often do not understand that doing things like tell the person in charge of them they won't give the receptionist a break because they are too good to answer phones, means they burned any employment opportunity with that company later and they get their feelings hurt when they aren't offered a paying job. Lots of interns don't get that not working during an internship hurts their future careers. Those are generally older teens of people in their early twenties who blindly assume that showing up for an internship every day means they are furthering their careers without actually working. They have no clue that it would be better not to do an internship where you don't work, that people communicate and you can get branded as lazy and it will follow you a long, long time.

• Like 1

FWIW, social media and science communication has been a major part of DD's conferences for the last few years. I figure it's good for her to hear it in that context before she gets to the point of having personal accounts (she's had professional ones, which I own and moderate, since she was 9 because of her outreach work).

• Like 1