Menu

Teaching textbooks question

woolybear

Ds did TT level 4 last year. The next step would be level 5, but I was thinking of maybe moving him right to level 6. I think there is so much review built into TT that this might be ok. I did the placement test for level 6 with him. He needed quite a few reminders ,but overall did fine. He didn't know fractions at all. I can work with him on areas like this, but what I'm wondering will it be too many areas that he is missing or not enough review to help him understand it?

I agree with the above, is there a particular reason you need him to skip an entire level?  For some kids skipping ahead is a big help.  Maybe they were misplaced to begin with and need to be at a more advanced level.  Maybe they are picking things up really quickly and are bored.  They need more challenge.

However, you say he doesn't know fractions at all.  And needed help with certain sections of the placement test for Level 6.  I would be hesitant to jump over an entire level.  I guess you could dedicate several weeks to fractions then start him on Level 6 and see how he does.  If he flounders then bump him back to Level 5 but have him test forward until he gets to stuff he is not really solid on (not just understands the concepts but remembers the algorithms and the application fluidly).

I think logically I should just go to the next level, but I felt that there was so much review built into the program that it might work. And mostly he does seem able to do the work on the placement test.

Thank you for all your responses. I think I will give it a try. If it is too difficult, we can go back and we will have the program already for next year.

Yeah, after finishing TT 4, I took a look at the placement tests, noted the gaps, taught her longer multiplication and division (incl with decimals). Now as soon as DD finishes the fraction lessons on Khan I'm skipping her ahead to TT 7. However she is an older student (13 yo) who is very, very motivated to be working at grade level, so our situation is different from most.