Menu

carrots from the garden question

SparklyUnicorn

That's the best way to do it, IMO. My DD grew some carrots this year and last and when we washed them before putting them in the fridge they went bad really quickly. When we threw them in dirty, they lasted a lot longer- maybe a month?!

How do you get tons of carrots? My DD loves them but we only ever have 3-4 come up. We must be doing something wrong. 

• Like 4

That's the best way to do it, IMO. My DD grew some carrots this year and last and when we washed them before putting them in the fridge they went bad really quickly. When we threw them in dirty, they lasted a lot longer- maybe a month?!

How do you get tons of carrots? My DD loves them but we only ever have 3-4 come up. We must be doing something wrong. 

OH that is so good to read!

Well pretty much most of our garden stuff doesn't amount to much EXCEPT carrots!  We don't do anything special.  Maybe we just live in an area that is good for growing carrots.

Yes!  Saves a ton of time.  I've done it too and it works great!  Some folks even take them out, layer them in dirt and keep them in a cool, dry place (root cellar) and have them "fresh" throughout the winter.  I think you have to keep the dirt a little moist if my memory is correct.

• Like 1

Why not keep them in the ground until you want to use them? They get sweeter with time. Just put a deep layer of leaf or sawdust or shavings on top and dig them out throughout the winter.

In the Pacific Northwest this works sometimes. But sometimes it is too wet and they rot underground. Nevertheless I found this thread full of information. Thank you.

Why not keep them in the ground until you want to use them? They get sweeter with time. Just put a deep layer of leaf or sawdust or shavings on top and dig them out throughout the winter.

We have a community garden that we have to drive to, and we have held out as long as possible. The weather conditions in winter around here will make that too impractical.  The snow tends to be either slushy sloppy wet or it freezes very hard and solid.  So either the carrots will rot from too much moisture, or we won't be able to dig them out. 

We've thought about putting them in a large cooler, covering them with sand, and then storing them in the cellar.  We might test it out to see if that works out.

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

When I was a kid, we had a big metal trash can filled with dirt in our cellar and that's where we kept all the root vegetables from my grandparents' garden. I remember going down there to dig them out and thinking it was so cool. Thank you for reminding me of this!

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Edited by Mrs_JWM