Menu

Auditory issues and ADHD

I have felt for a long time that dd8 has auditory processing issues. The audiologist's testing only showed her as borderline. She has pretty severe phonemic weakness, but ti's gotten better over the years and with Barton. She is dyslexic.

Anyway, she also has attention/focus issues, which I have always attributed to the auditory weakness. But, today it occurred to me that maybe it's ADHD-type difficulty instead.

I wonder if anyone could share examples of what auditory processing without ADHD would look like, and with it?

For example, she often gets oral directions mixed up, especially if I say them quickly or out of order (go do X, but first do Y). I've always thought it was because of auditory processing, because it involves listening. But maybe not.

Sometimes a long instructional part of Barton, she can't follow/loses interest/doesn't seem to be listening. Again, auditory issues or ADHD, I'm wondering now.

APD, at it's most basic, usually shows up with dichotic listening, when the person needs to discriminate from background noise.  You can have APD *and* ADHD *and* SLD Reading.  

Has she had a psych eval?  They should have been able to get this sorted out.  As far as the APD, my dd is on the line like that, one point from failing the screening, Tiramisu was saying her dd was that way and that when they dug in there WAS an area that was disability level.  For my dd, definitely the effect is pretty significant, when she's dealing with background noise.  But she also has an ADHD label.

The only think you're saying right now, symptomatically, is that she's fading out during Barton.  That could be ADHD or you could just be really boring, lol.  ADHD is 60% comorbid with dyslexia, so it wouldn't be shocking.  You want meds?

I don't understand your complaint about how she follows instructions.  My ds just turned 8, and I wouldn't give him super convoluted instructions and then be shocked he couldn't follow them.  You could get an SLP eval and make sure there's nothing going on with language.  Her working memory, etc. should have been in your psych report.  It's always good to work on those things, but you also need to be realistic.  Slow down, increase gradually, etc.  

Edited by OhElizabeth

I have felt for a long time that dd8 has auditory processing issues. The audiologist's testing only showed her as borderline. She has pretty severe phonemic weakness, but ti's gotten better over the years and with Barton. She is dyslexic.

Anyway, she also has attention/focus issues, which I have always attributed to the auditory weakness. But, today it occurred to me that maybe it's ADHD-type difficulty instead.

I wonder if anyone could share examples of what auditory processing without ADHD would look like, and with it?

For example, she often gets oral directions mixed up, especially if I say them quickly or out of order (go do X, but first do Y). I've always thought it was because of auditory processing, because it involves listening. But maybe not.

Sometimes a long instructional part of Barton, she can't follow/loses interest/doesn't seem to be listening. Again, auditory issues or ADHD, I'm wondering now.

was she screened for specific types of auditory processing disorder?  there are three, and they are different.  not all audiology clinics will actually screen for capd.  it is a long process - she's just at the threshold, agewise, of when they will screen.  it's a very detailed hearing exam to rule out anything organic, and a separate appointment to go through the different types of processing disorders.

and borderline for "what"?

depending upon they type of processing disorder - there are many overlaps with asd and adhd.  it can affect, reading, writing, social skills, etc.

what you are describing could well be integration disorder - which is based in the corpus callosum and facilitates communication between the hemispheres in the brain.  this is most likely to have symptoms overlap with adhd and asd.

eta: I have a diagnosed by a child dev clinic with asd with ocd and odd, as well as capd going through all three types.  does super with one, ok/borderline, and serious deficits with a third.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2