Menu

A Beka Letters and Sounds K as opposed to other programs?

StaceyinLA

Dd saw the A Beka Letters and Sounds K at a friend's last week and thought it looked like it might appeal to dgs. How is it as opposed to ETC or similar workbooks as far as instruction? She feels like he might like it because it is colorful and fun.

Is something like this overkill with Phonics Pathways? He just really needs some reinforcement with letter sounds.

Dd saw the A Beka Letters and Sounds K at a friend's last week and thought it looked like it might appeal to dgs. How is it as opposed to ETC or similar workbooks as far as instruction? She feels like he might like it because it is colorful and fun.

Is something like this overkill with Phonics Pathways? He just really needs some reinforcement with letter sounds.

Remember that ABeka Letters and Sounds was designed to be used in a class room. In order to get the most out of it, there are quite a few things that should go along with it; IOW, that book is not the whole teach-the-childre-to-read program.

OTOH, Phonics Pathways is a complete program.

How old is your dgs?

I used the Letters and Sounds K workbook, basic phonics flashcards, the readers, and Handbook for Reading with Phonics Pathways for my dd who is now in 6th grade.  It was a perfect combination.  I did three different sessions each day.   You could even get by with the Letters and Sounds 1 workbook if student is catching on to phonics nicely.  It moves a little faster than the K workbook and goes through all the phonics sound combinations.

I do not recommend Phonics Pathways as much as Abeka or CLP Phonics. Phonics Pathways is harder to pace, and lacking the built in (forced) repetition.

Abeka is an excellent program. It's easy to use once you get the hang of it. It is definitely schooly, in that you have to use the TM and "teach" every day as well as "recite" things. But you will Learn how to pare it down over time.

If your daughter thinks she will enjoy teaching it then she should try it. It is a VERY solid proven program with excellent results and not too expensive.

• Like 1

We had the Abeka and it was just fine. That being said I also had MCP phonics and I think we all liked it better. http://cathyduffyreviews.com/homeschool-reviews-core-curricula/phonics-reading/phonics-workbooks/plaid-phonics-levels-k-a-b-and-c-20112012-editions. If I remember right the MCP was slightly more user friendly instruction wise.

We liked Abeka math because of the colours.

I'm using Abeka phonics for the fourth time now. It works great for us. We only use the Letters and Sounds workbook, the special sounds cards, and the readers. (and maybe a chart or 2) It took me awhile to sort through the old version of the TM that I had, but I think the new one might be more user-friendly. All 3 of my kids who have finished it ended up as solid readers and spellers.

We loved Abeka phonics/Letters and Sounds. I don't know anything about Phonics Pathways, but give two thumbs up for Abeka as a complete program. We did the workbooks and the sounds flashcards, for the most part. You also don't need all the teacher/lesson planning components for it.

I'm using Abeka phonics for the fourth time now. It works great for us. We only use the Letters and Sounds workbook, the special sounds cards, and the readers. (and maybe a chart or 2) It took me awhile to sort through the old version of the TM that I had, but I think the new one might be more user-friendly. All 3 of my kids who have finished it ended up as solid readers and spellers.

So you've used only this for phonics instruction, or have you used something else along with it?

I use the A Beka phonics program as a whole and I love it. It is thorough and interesting for children. We use the curriculum guide, Handbook for Reading, charts, Basic Phonics Flashcards, workbooks, and readers through first grade. (The charts and phonics flashcards really aren't necessary. It is possible to just use the Handbook for Reading for everything visual.) The lessons are not long in K4 or K5. In first grade, they get a bit longer. 

I have used SSRW, but with my next child, I am switching to A Beka.  I was given all the readers and TM and everything, so I just need the workbook.  My big beef with SSRW was the very late introduction to long vowels (halfway through first grade) that really slowed down progress.  A Beka is a solid program.  It is schoolish with the Teacher's manual and all the charts, but it is so very thorough.  It's easy for me to adapt.  It is such a solid phonics program.  My hesitation before was the use of cursive in kindergarten, but they do have a manuscript version.  I think their phonics and early elementary skills instruction is their best material.  

I do not recommend A Beka for content subjects though (history and science.)

• Like 1

I have used SSRW, but with my next child, I am switching to A Beka.  I was given all the readers and TM and everything, so I just need the workbook.  My big beef with SSRW was the very late introduction to long vowels (halfway through first grade) that really slowed down progress.  A Beka is a solid program.  It is schoolish with the Teacher's manual and all the charts, but it is so very thorough.  It's easy for me to adapt.  It is such a solid phonics program.  My hesitation before was the use of cursive in kindergarten, but they do have a manuscript version.  I think their phonics and early elementary skills instruction is their best material.  

I do not recommend A Beka for content subjects though (history and science.)

Just wanted to let you know that cursive is not as difficult as one would think. I have started both of mine in the K4 cursive book, and both are doing / have done brilliantly with it. I've begun to believe it's quite a bit easier than manuscript, in fact.

Just wanted to let you know that cursive is not as difficult as one would think. I have started both of mine in the K4 cursive book, and both are doing / have done brilliantly with it. I've begun to believe it's quite a bit easier than manuscript, in fact.

I realize the school of thought on this and even considered it, but it was not my preference. I really like the Pentime cursive writing program.