Menu

Options for online AP calculus *BC*

I don't know if this is the type of online course you're looking for, but ds did really well with Thinkwell. He got a 5 on the Calc BC AP exam and went on to a B.S. in computer science, graduating with a 4.0. He's in graduate school now, but a few weeks ago he mentioned yet again how fond he was of the Thinkwell course and what a good foundation it laid for him. (We were discussing his younger brother's math options, and I have no doubt that I will use it again for this younger son as elder ds so highly recommends it.)

• Like 2

CTY JHU use Thinkwell.  My kids don't fancy Dr Edward Burger's videos so that rule that choice out.

My oldest is taking the AoPS Calculus online class but that is not map to the AP Calculus AB or BC syllabus.  So you would still need to do your own test prep and cover any gaps.

Stanford Online High School offers AP Calculus BC too. Your daughter is already taking AP biology there maybe she can ask her schoolmates for reviews.

• Like 1

DD took Calc BC with Sue Gilleran at PAH.  She has also TA'd for her. She highly recommends the course with Sue.

My ds also took AP Calc BC this past year with Susan Gilleran at PAH.  He really enjoyed the class and scored a 5 on the exam.  

Hi:  Those of you who have taken AP Calc at PAH, can you describe the format?  Are their videos, or is it mostly studying from the text?  How responsive is Gilleran to student questions?  I'm glad to hear that PAH is a great option.  

Hi:  Those of you who have taken AP Calc at PAH, can you describe the format?  Are their videos, or is it mostly studying from the text?  How responsive is Gilleran to student questions?  I'm glad to hear that PAH is a great option.

Mrs. Gilleran provides comprehensive daily notes along with reading assignments from the text, homework through Webassign, and often video links. There is an online discussion board where students can ask questions and get answers from TAs and/or Mrs. Gilleran.  She is very responsive, but activity level on the board varies based on the students.

• Like 2

Two of my kids have taken AP Calc BC with Mrs. Gilleran at PAHS, and my youngest kid will take the class next year.  

This is an excellent class that prepares the kids not only for the AP Calc exam, but lays an excellent foundation for the more advanced math classes taken in college.  (My oldest used his 5 on the AP Calc BC exam to place out of of first year calc in college and had no gaps jumping right into the higher level classes.)

• Like 2

This is an excellent class that prepares the kids not only for the AP Calc exam, but lays an excellent foundation for the more advanced math classes taken in college.  (My oldest used his 5 on the AP Calc BC exam to place out of of first year calc in college and had no gaps jumping right into the higher level classes.)

This has been my son's experience as well!

• Like 2