Menu

SAT scores might matter longer than you think...

Hoggirl

I'm considering cross-posting this on the high school board just to provide a heads-up there.

My college junior is starting to apply for summer internships and thus far, has had two companies request his SAT scores. This has been within one specific industry (consulting). I am not sure if investment banking firms also request these scores, but it could certainly be a possibility. He is not currently looking into IB. While it seems odd, at this point, I suppose companies have no other consistent metric by which to judge applicants since most will not yet have taken the GRE. I often see those, "Should ds/dd retake," types of questions. I'm thinking that for those who know they want to pursue certain types of careers, the answer to that question might be "yes," when it might otherwise be "no." Fortunately, ds's scores were good, but he only took the SAT one time to qualify for National Merit status. He missed ONE math question and got a 760 on that section. The threshold for advancing to National Merit Finalist was around a 1960 (old test, three sections), which really is not that high of a score. It would be a shame for a student to be shut out of an entire industry because of a comparatively low SAT score.

Anyone else encountered other industries where SAT scores have been requested for internships/jobs?

Dd was asked for her ACT/SAT scores when she transferred her paramedic license to New Jersey. They descriminate against homeschool graduates. And the dumb thing is she had a 4.0 on 100 credit hours at the University of Michigan, and had a perfect score on hrr National Registry Exam, was licensed as an EMT and Medic in Michigan, and had worked as a medic for nearly two years!

Dd was asked for her ACT/SAT scores when she transferred her paramedic license to New Jersey. They descriminate against homeschool graduates. And the dumb thing is she had a 4.0 on 100 credit hours at the University of Michigan, and had a perfect score on hrr National Registry Exam, was licensed as an EMT and Medic in Michigan, and had worked as a medic for nearly two years!

Boo! That's kinda silly when she had so many other credentials.

• Like 2

I was definitely asked for SAT scores and LSAT scores when I interviewed with banks and consulting firms 20 years ago. There's an old story about a former member of Congress being asked for his LSAT score by Gibson Dunn. Seriously.

• Like 1

Boo! That's kinda silly when she had so many other credentials.

Oh absolutely! I was incredulous at first. Then had to pay $50.00 to get the report since it had been archived at that point. NOT that it costs ACT much of anything IF anything at all to pull up that score on a computer, but yah know.....

My dh used to be the IT Director for a hedgefund.  They asked for his sat scores and college transripts during the interview process.  The only job he ever had where they asked for any of that.  Back in the day the sat was a max 1600 points.  He had a very high score and was basically asked to defend why he did so poorly out of 1600. 

My dh used to be the IT Director for a hedgefund. They asked for his sat scores and college transripts during the interview process. The only job he ever had where they asked for any of that. Back in the day the sat was a max 1600 points. He had a very high score and was basically asked to defend why he did so poorly out of 1600.

A classic example of someone demanding statistics that he or she does understand and cannot correctly interpret!

Good grief.

Considering the number of schools going test optional, requiring test scores from professionals could eliminate some excellent employees.  When we toured Wake Forest a few weeks ago, I cannot convey in a post just how emphatic the presentation was about their being absolutely 100% test optional.  They essentially said that they are insulted by the insinuations that they aren't really test optional.  They said if you have a 36 ACT score and you want them to focus on you vs. your test score, don't bother submitting the 36.  

I found the presentation interesting.  It didn't apply to us b/c they still require them from homeschoolers, but it was revealing.

(After our visit, however, dd decided not to apply.)