Menu

Good luck to all of our PSAT takers!

Particularly the 11th graders.

May their mothers remain calm. Ahem.

Jane

:willy_nilly: Are you talking about me???? (where's the helicopter mom smilie??)

Are you part of our club or is ds firmly planted in CC these days?

Thanks for the good wishes. I think the hardest thing in our house was getting up at 6:00am:lol:

Particularly the 11th graders.

May their mothers remain calm. Ahem.

For the first time in eons, I caught myself hovering over my 6' 5" man-boy -- his breakfast choice, his and calculator and snack, requesting he call me after he was done. And I had those same flutters of mixed emotions that I'd had watching him walk into his kindergarten room. At least then I got to *mourn* at the boo-hoo breakfast with the other moms as we transitioned ourselves!

Lisa

Yes, may we mothers remain calm today! (Although I know I'll be pestering dd with questions like, "How hard was it? How did you do? How did the math portion go? Did it go better than last year?")

Yes, peace and calm to all mothers (and students) today!

I just did that with dd. And, she did get to use her calculator this year. Funny how they didn't say anything this year, knowing that she had a printed copy of the policy with her.

She did say one boy in front of her answered all of 3 questions (total) and just stared into space the rest of the time. Also, she told me there was only a handful of 11th graders sitting for the exam (<10). I find this interesting that in a high school of 800+ students, that's all they had show up? (She knows this because they grouped people by grade.)

We have found a wonderful public school person who is willing to work with homeschoolers; however, she is at a school located on the opposite side of the county from our home. Thus we were up bright and early and out the door bright and early with the intention of arriving at this school before the designated time of 7:50. I left a cushion for slow traffic, school buses, etc. Totally unanticipated was the accident that had everyone in a bottleneck on a stretch of country road without any connectors to our destination unless we circled many miles backward. We finally arrived at the school at 8--full of apologies but expecting that this mess affected students at the school as well.

This school has roughly 800 students, guessing roughly 200 juniors. Only 30 people took the PSAT--that included a few 10th graders. Is this sad or what? Granted, this is a very low ranking school, but I would like to think that parents who lack degrees might find the motivation to inspire their children to greater accomplishments than they themselves have achieved.

It appears that DS survived. We now return to regularly scheduled programming.

Jane and Bev; when my oldest took the PSAT for a "dry run" last year, there were fewer than 20 who showed up. Apparently the h.s. counselors don't encourage the test! They do have the kids take the ACT, so I guess that's good.

At the girls' school this year, all of the juniors are required to take the PSAT. I think we were required to do the same when I was in high school.

Where is the motivation and drive anymore? Even if a kid may not get a National Merit scholarship, they gain valuable experience in preparation for the SAT and even possibly the ACT.

Oh Jane, I thought of you this morning as I sat waiting for my Jr to come out from his test wondering how it was going for your DC.

We went to a small private school about 40 minutes from our home because it is small, off in the woods, and a quiet setting. They had their 9th, 10th and 11th graders take the test plus HS'ers, about 40 students set up in 2 rooms.

When I returned to pick DS up I was about 15minutes early so I sat at a picnic table outside to enjoy the beautiful setting under the trees. But then it hit me; the school is doing construction! I started worrying about all the construction noise. Sure enough my CAPD child who can't work with noise, was located in the classroom directly above where the lumber was being continuously cut. UGH!!! He said the noise really bothered him and to him it sounded like someone was continuously running a lawnmower. What a distraction! :eek: Also the teacher never gave time warnings. Thankfully DS recently started wearing a watch and tracked his time on his own however he said it also meant that he was stopping and looking at the time rather than relying upon the teacher to say that they had 5 minutes or 2 minutes left. He said that he thought that was strange since in all his other testing (SAT twice before) the teachers always gave 5 and 2 minute warnings. Oh well, what is is.

Carole

When I returned to pick DS up I was about 15minutes early so I sat at a picnic table outside to enjoy the beautiful setting under the trees. But then it hit me; the school is doing construction! I started worrying about all the construction noise. Sure enough my CAPD child who can't work with noise, was located in the classroom directly above where the lumber was being continuously cut. UGH!!! He said the noise really bothered him and to him it sounded like someone was continuously running a lawnmower. What a distraction! :eek: Also the teacher never gave time warnings. Thankfully DS recently started wearing a watch and tracked his time on his own however he said it also meant that he was stopping and looking at the time rather than relying upon the teacher to say that they had 5 minutes or 2 minutes left. He said that he thought that was strange since in all his other testing (SAT twice before) the teachers always gave 5 and 2 minute warnings. Oh well, what is is.

Carole

Ugh...one would have thought that the school would have planned the room assignment a bit differently! Double ugh.

Conditions are not always ideal. Heck, my son's brain is not always engaged. One can only hope that today was a day when his neurons were firing. (Hormones seem to take their toll!)

But this will be one of my questions the next time around --- is your school undergoing any construction? (And really, who would ever thunk to ask that one?) Of course DS#2 doesn't have CAPD and isn't bothered too much by noise but even I was bothered by the noise.

Carole

Heck, my son's brain is not always engaged. One can only hope that today was a day when his neurons were firing. (Hormones seem to take their toll!)

Boy, I have one just like that! And he has his learners permit - :eek:

He said he finished all questions, only left a few blank and he assured me that it was only those that he had NO idea about the answer. I was concerned because he is a slow, methodical reader and had trouble completing both CR tests yesterday on the practice (each had 2 questions left). But he apparently paced himself well. He did say that he thought the Reading was easier than the practice but the math was harder. I wish he hadn't said that about the math because that is usually his big strength. Now for the long wait...