Menu

"Parkinson like" symptoms?

Daria

My mom's unsteady gate, that I posted about earlier, has continued to develop.  It's been a long slow development, starting probably 10 years ago, but is now making it hard for her to walk distances.  Her doctor has said he thinks it's "Parkson like" symptoms, and has suggested that she see a neurologist, and also get a stress test.  

Any suggestions on things to research related to Parkinson like symptoms?

Any experience with this diagnosis?

Also, does anyone know if you can do a stress test with another form of exercise besides the treadmill?  She's in good cardiac shape.  She works out regularly, either swimming or riding a stationary bike, but because of the unsteadiness, and a bad fall on a treadmill in the past, she's very hesitant to walk on one, and if she did she'd be very slow and hesitant to the point that I don't think her heart rate would rise.  Could she do one riding on a stationary bike?  

My mom was finally diagnosed with Parkinson's after some time, but they kept saying vague stuff at first as well. Wilson's disease is another thing that causes similar symptoms. Learned that watching Everwood. We saw issues with my mom's gait over time, too, but didn't know what was going on.

I would _not_ want my mom attempting a stationary bike where she's up high and could fall. Maybe something low to the ground or just the pedals. My mom has a device that is just the pedals she can use while seated in a regular chair.

I don't want to be negative, but at some point you may want to have her use a cane or walker. Possibly now. My mom had a bad fall and broke her hip. Well I don't know the order. Sometimes people break hips, then fall. But either way, it lead to her messed up thumb which is the crux of her issues. Trying to eat with tremors and an injured hand is awful. In hindsight she probably should have been using a walker or cane back then. I think she was just trying to do something basic like open the refrigerator. Your mom may not want to use a support now, but it could potentially save her a bad fall.

I'd have her doctor test B12, iron, and folate levels.  My dad was told he had low B12 two years ago because of an unsteady gait.  They did injections for awhile and then is doctor stopped them.   :cursing:

Earlier this year, they told him that it was now early stages parkinson and put him on medication for that.  I still think it's the other -- should have kept up with the B12.

Yes, the medication-induced stress test is a great option. They've made that much easier on the patient than it was some 5+ years ago too. They use smaller amounts of medication, and it doesn't take as long.

She needs a neurological workup, but keep in mind that Parkinson's Disease (PD) is not diagnosed by a blood test or MRI. They look for symptoms, and then generally try some of the PD medications. If it gets better with medication, you have your diagnosis.

There are other problems that can be like PD but are not that.

My father had PD for 25+ years. He was diagnosed in his early 50's and continued working until he was 65. He went once a year to the Mayo Clinic for a full evaluation and also saw a local neurologist with a speciality in movement disorders.

My mother had essential tremor and then developed PD during her last year of life. She needed 24/7 care at that point for vascular dementia, but they tried PD medication to see if it would improve her mobility and tremor. It did help, and so the diagnosis. 

My sibling has essential tremor, but has not seen a neurologist since the diagnosis over five years ago. It's getting tough to deal with though. Of course I'm very concerned.

• Like 1

My mom was finally diagnosed with Parkinson's after some time, but they kept saying vague stuff at first as well. Wilson's disease is another thing that causes similar symptoms. Learned that watching Everwood. We saw issues with my mom's gait over time, too, but didn't know what was going on.

I would _not_ want my mom attempting a stationary bike where she's up high and could fall. Maybe something low to the ground or just the pedals. My mom has a device that is just the pedals she can use while seated in a regular chair.

I don't want to be negative, but at some point you may want to have her use a cane or walker. Possibly now. My mom had a bad fall and broke her hip. Well I don't know the order. Sometimes people break hips, then fall. But either way, it lead to her messed up thumb which is the crux of her issues. Trying to eat with tremors and an injured hand is awful. In hindsight she probably should have been using a walker or cane back then. I think she was just trying to do something basic like open the refrigerator. Your mom may not want to use a support now, but it could potentially save her a bad fall.

She has fallen badly several times in the past 8 or so years.  Once was on a treadmill and badly damaged her foot, once she broke her pelvis, and once her ribs.  She's also had a hip replacement.  Since the last fall, maybe 4 years ago, she got diagnosed with low sodium and put on salt pills which seemed to help, but now this shakiness has come on.  

She told me she's considering using a cane.  Between the hip and the pelvis she owns a bunch of equipment, so she could just start using it.  

She has fallen badly several times in the past 8 or so years.  Once was on a treadmill and badly damaged her foot, once she broke her pelvis, and once her ribs.  She's also had a hip replacement.  Since the last fall, maybe 4 years ago, she got diagnosed with low sodium and put on salt pills which seemed to help, but now this shakiness has come on.  

She told me she's considering using a cane.  Between the hip and the pelvis she owns a bunch of equipment, so she could just start using it.  

Oh my goodness. How scary. Yes, I hope she uses something. Hopefully she is not home alone, either.

My mother has Parkinson's, but had symptoms for several years before that was the official diagnosis. A neurologist is what she needs to see. My mom uses two canes or a rolling walker. I'm not sure what medicines she takes right now, but her symptom progression has been slowed effectively for several years.