Menu

Looking for a thorough survey course on the Bible for 12th grader. Any recommendations?

Well it's a little late since the semester has started, but he could do DE bible classes online through any number of christian colleges.  Cedarville, BJU, etc. have them.  My dd is doing OT survey this semester and she'll do NT next semester.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

Well it's a little late since the semester has started, but he could do DE bible classes online through any number of christian colleges.  Cedarville, BJU, etc. have them.  My dd is doing OT survey this semester and she'll do NT next semester.

Thanks!  I'll check into this.  If the school started on the later side, it might still work.  Good as an option for the spring!

If he really wants an adventure, he could even take the OT and NT survey classes in the same semester.  :D  They're work, but really you're talking 1-2 credit classes.  The bulk of the work is reading through the Bible itself.  They'll have Bible reading, a survey text, some controversial topics to read about and respond to, that kind of thing.  My dd grumbles, mainly because she's doing it along with a couple other DE courses and feeling stressed, but it's a good process for her.  

A university Bible class like that would be a good starter class for someone who hasn't done any DE.  And you may not know this, but Cedarville, BJU, etc. will let high schoolers do their online classes for HALF PRICE, making them quite the bargain!  I think the BJU 1 credit Bible classes will come out at like $170 or something.  Check.  And Cedarville's will be 2 credits, so around $350-400. LOTS of places now are doing online classes, and they usually do the half-price thing.

• Like 2

A university Bible class like that would be a good starter class for someone who hasn't done any DE.  And you may not know this, but Cedarville, BJU, etc. will let high schoolers do their online classes for HALF PRICE, making them quite the bargain!  I think the BJU 1 credit Bible classes will come out at like $170 or something.  Check.  And Cedarville's will be 2 credits, so around $350-400. LOTS of places now are doing online classes, and they usually do the half-price thing.

He's taking two DE classes this semester at a local college and really enjoying them.  I think I read about some of the Christian colleges offering DE online, but I just never looked into it.  I like those prices a lot!  Thanks for this suggestion!

• Like 1

Read The Unseen Realm together.  It was quite an eye-opener for us and totally worth the read.  The book is authored by Dr. Michael S. Heiser.  He is an expert in ANE languages (biblical Hebrew, Greek, Akkadian, Aramaic, Ugarit....etc....) He also has a degree in ancient history. Dr. Heiser is also the resident scholar for Logos Bible Software and was instrumental in constructing their online interlinear Bible.

Basically, he reveals the meanings of all those troublesome passages in the Bible within the proper context and worldview of the text.  In other words, through the eyes of the ancient writer according to their time period -- not with 21st. century eyes or understanding.  This makes a huge difference.  

For instance, the "snake" in the garden isn't your regular reptilian snake.  It's a "nacash," a divine, shining, being.  Makes a huge difference when you understand the ramifications of that simple Hebrew word throughout the Bible.  Another revelation is the hugely misunderstood statement, "...on this rock I will build my church,"  Here's a hint: the Biblical writer was NOT talking about Peter.  Jesus was invoking cosmic geography and so much more.

This book has solidified DD's faith and has made so much of the Bible more clear for her (as well as for DH and I) that it has been more educational than all the years of Bible study we've done together.  We now listen to Dr. Heiser's lectures and podcasts as well.  If you're unsure about the book, there is a lecture series about the contents of the book on YouTube that you can preview.  However, it doesn't reveal everything in the book.  

A suggestion for studying would be to read the book and incorporate the YT lectures as you read.  Here's the first lecture. They are a little over an hour long.

This year, DD is watching Dr. Heiser's lecture course on finding Jesus in the Old Testament.  Another great study!

In case you're wondering, Dr. Heiser has been a committed Christian since the age of 17 and subscribes to all the core doctrines of Christianity.

Edited by Saddlemomma2

For Bible survey, I like William Hendriksen's classic text, Survey of the Bible.

http://www.christianbook.com/survey-of-the-bible/william-hendriksen/9780801054150/pd/9674?event=ESRCG

Berean School of the Bible also offers affordable courses, including one in OT Survey and another in NT survey. You might have to call them to see a catalog without having registered. I couldn't find a link to a course catalog.

https://www.globaluniversity.edu/berean_bible_doctrine.cfm

https://www.globaluniversity.edu/berean_costs.cfm

HTH.

Edited to add link for the catalog:

https://www.globaluniversity.edu/admissions_catalogs.cfm

BIB 212 New Testament Survey (description on page 24)

BIB 214 Old Testament Survey (description on page 24)

Edited by Sahamamama

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but my son attended a "Worldview seminar" this past summer hosted by Summit Ministries. My son came home saying that the seminar changed his life. They also have a high school curriculum .  I am personally acquiring the book list from this Christian Worldview organization in order to further my personal studies.  

These programs would be cultural studies which debate today's issues from a Christian worldview specifically.