Menu

Does anyone work for Farmer's Insurance or is an insurance agent??

Prairie~Phlox

What happens when people don't take care of their house? Do insurance agents ever check on the condition of people's property? We've lived in our house for 8 years & have a neighbor behind us that has neglected to do anything, he has stuff in his gutters, poison ivy and other junk growing up the entire back of the house. I'm sure if an insurance company saw this, they would not be happy at all. I don't know him that well, I know some of it is laziness, they aren't totally poor, he drives a nice truck & has an Indian motorcycle. Another neighbor said it's been like this forever. I was briefly talking with the weedy neighbor house as he was getting his mail & saw the back of an envelope that said Farmers Insurance, so I'm guessing that's who they have. This neighbor would probably not recognize me at the store, he introduced himself again last night & I told him I lived behind him. I would never contact the company on him, but it has crossed my mind because it's so terrible to look at. Thoughts or opinions?

homeowner's insurance doesn't check-up on a house unless there is a claim.

mortgage companies only check-up on a house when someone has applied for a loan - and they send an appraiser.

it's possible you can report it to the city or county (whoever had jurisdiction) if it is going to pose a hazard to the neighborhood.

eta: I've never, ever had a company send out anyone except in the above circumstances.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

I guess in this position, I would take some time before acting on this to really question my motivation and all of the consequences that could be wrought because of a simple phone call. We don't always know the circumstances of others, nor can we simply judge their position by some possessions. Sometimes fall out is far greater than intended.

If a person is required by their mortgage company to have insurance, and a simple phone call results in the denial of said insurance policy without person remedying issues (which always cost money), and the person cannot afford to correct requirements of insurance company within time constraints because of some unforeseen circumstance, they will lose their insurance. If they lose their insurance they will lose their mortgage. I would ask myself if that worth the phone call? Or is there some better, more direct way to deal with the situation? Just something to possibly consider before poking a hornets' nest. Insurance companies are not fun, and they are not trite to deal with. It's a serious thing to cross that line. 

Edited by texasmom33