Menu

Allergies: dizzy, air conditioning

Mandamom

I'm curious if other's have this problem. Background: I don't have A/C in my house but do use it in my car. 

I have year round allergies -- sometimes worse than others. I have noticed when I enter some stores I get really dizzy and this weird sinus pressure/headache thing. It seems to dissipate as I adjust to being in the store but it feels weird when it happens. The worse my allergies are the more dizzy I get. 

I've attributed it to differing pressures within the building as most air conditioned buildings are fairly well sealed so the A/C doesn't leak outside. 

Anyway, I was just wondering if others dealt with this. 

Oh, this is a timely thread, but I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

I was taking Benadryl for insomnia for many years but discontinued it about a month ago. Since then I've been having scary dizziness to the point of feeling faint all day and not feeling safe to drive.  The sinus and head pressure really revved up about the time the dizziness started, so I'm pretty sure it's related. Also I took Benadryl last night and was a little better today. I can't go back on the Benadryl again and need to figure something else out. 

Listening in.

Oh, this is a timely thread, but I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

I was taking Benadryl for insomnia for many years but discontinued it about a month ago. Since then I've been having scary dizziness to the point of feeling faint all day and not feeling safe to drive.  The sinus and head pressure really revved up about the time the dizziness started, so I'm pretty sure it's related. Also I took Benadryl last night and was a little better today. I can't go back on the Benadryl again and need to figure something else out. 

Listening in.

Bummer. I take Claritin (generic) regularly and can tell when I don't take it plus I went back on flonase (generic) because things have gotten bad the past two weeks. 

I hate allergies. :( 

• Like 1

When I started doing allergy shots and managing my allergies under the guidance of a doctor, I found that the terrifying bouts of random dizziness that I'd dealth with for most of my life went away.  I remember going in for a follow-up appointment and telling the doctor that he had 'cured' everything that was wrong with me, not just my stuffy nose and sore throat.  Vertigo is awful. 

Dizziness is directly related to allergies & sinus stuff for me. Also to migraines.

Taking a Dramamine on top of allergy meds (& sometimes migraine meds if a migraine is involved) stops the dizziness.

But why is it only some stores/buildings that makes me dizzy consistently? It is just weird. :) 

I'm very glad you figured out a solution. I never would have thought about that as a solution. 

I have to laugh, though, at the idea of requiring a Dramamine to go grocery shopping or quick pick up at Walgreens. That's what I have, not car sickness but shopping sickness." Luckily the dizziness usually subsides after a couple of minutes. 

But why is it only some stores/buildings that makes me dizzy consistently? It is just weird. :)

I'm very glad you figured out a solution. I never would have thought about that as a solution. 

I have to laugh, though, at the idea of requiring a Dramamine to go grocery shopping or quick pick up at Walgreens. That's what I have, not car sickness but shopping sickness." Luckily the dizziness usually subsides after a couple of minutes. 

Just guessing, but around here commercial establishments tend to be kept very cold. Could that be it? Your car cools off gradually so the temperature change isn't as abrupt as walking into a store from the hot outside.

Keep in mind that Dramamine is an antihistamine. So I'd do some research before combining it with other antihistamines.

• Like 1

I've wondered if it's pressure.  I've also heard that some stores have gadgets that transmit at high frequencies near the entrances because adults can't hear it and it keeps loitering teens out.  I've wondered if it was something like that, or if the hum of so many lights and other gadgets was creating a similar 'buzz'.  If your ears are already dealing with excess fluid from the allergies, maybe the buzz causes vibrations that are just too much?