Menu

x post from special needs board

kaylk in tx

i'm looking for suggestions for another mom.

her daughter is in 3rd grade. dyslexic, speech/language issues, failing math. the mom went to parent conference day yesterday and was very discouraged and is thinking about pulling her out to homeschool. what suggestions would you have as far as curriculum? especially reading and math?

thanks!

Kay

I don't have an official diagnosis but I think that my two oldest are dyslexic but they have problems in different subjects. My dd has difficulties in math and my ds' problems lie in reading. We use Right Start Math and we are very happy with it. I think that this program is excellent for dyscalculics/ dyslexics as there is little use of worksheets in the early level and a heavy use of manipulatives.

For reading we are just starting Bartons Reading and Spelling Program. I have no idea if it works from personal experience but I have heard many good things.

Word of warning: both of these programs are horribly expensive, especially Barton's I was dismayed at the simplicity of the program considering its high price. At least for RS, you get alot for your money.

IMO, the "best" curriculum is going to vary with special needs just as much as it will with all other kids.

My son's issues are mostly limited to language/social difficulties. The one-on-one attention has done more for him than materials choice. That said, programs like Mind Benders and those for listening skills have definitely improved his receptive language skills.

I've found using standard programs along side below-level exercises to work well for ds. If I could find a local speech therapist specializing in pragmatic/receptive language, I would give my right arm for his or her services.

i'm looking for suggestions for another mom.

her daughter is in 3rd grade. dyslexic, speech/language issues, failing math. the mom went to parent conference day yesterday and was very discouraged and is thinking about pulling her out to homeschool. what suggestions would you have as far as curriculum? especially reading and math?

thanks!

Kay

Hi There, I pulled my child out after first grade due to her learning differences. Things that have worked for us: Phonics Pathways--an easy to use program, and if it works IMHO it's just much easier to use than some of the more intensive remedial phonics programs out there. We're finally using a math program my child likes, Developmental Math, and before I bought it, I read it was good for special needs kids. Apples and Pears spelling is a hit. We also use ABeCeDarian right now. I also supplement with Singapore Math with my daughter. I think a base ten approach like with Singapore is really the best and I love Singapore math, but again, my child has responded best to DM for now.

Best wishes,

Anita

It's really so hard to say without knowing what types of problems the girl is having in these areas and what level she is actually working at.

Programs that I think are more friendly for children with learning disabilities are Rod and Staff Math, SRA's direct instruction programs (which are very expensive), Math U See, Funnix for reading, IEW for writing, and Times Tales for math facts. http://www.epsbooks.com puts out a lot of materials that are geared towards children with lds as well. I'm sure there are many more, but these are all ones I've either used for my son with success or heard other moms recommend time and again.

We use Sonlight for history, bible, science, read alouds and readers and my kids really enjoy it. I think Sonlight would be really nice for a child with dyslexia as long as you made adjustments to the reader selection as needed. If receptive language is an issue, then it would be important to pick a lower core than what might be recommended by SL for their age level. They would get lots of exposure to great literature without having to read it themselves since the mom does most of the reading.

Listening to a lot of audiobooks is something that has helped my son with his receptive language.

Lisa