Menu

NC Homeschoolers! Graduation requirement question

sheryl

Hey y'all!  :)

Started homeschooling dd in 2005 during which time we received the "start up" package with master forms, etc.  In it was the "pink" paper which described the requirements for primary, middle and high school. 

I thought 3 electives were "due".  Now I've been researching and if I'm reading the info.right, dd needs 6 credits of electives!  ????

Help me with this?   I understand all of the other requirements which she is working towards (math, science, language and etc) but it's the electives I'm not understanding.

PLEASE HELP!   Thanks!

As a homeschooler I believe you can set your own graduation requirements just like a private school can. You aren't obligated or legally required to do what the public schools do. In the past the general recommendation for NC homeschoolers was to look at UNC Chapel Hill's requirements for admission, keeping in mind that those are minimum requirements.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

The suggestion is that you strive to get your student ready for college by meeting the minimum requirements to a University of North Carolina System school. You can choose to do this, or you can choose to do something else. You are the head of the school and you set your own graduation requirements. 

The minimum requirements to get into a UNC System school are: 

- 6 units in language, including 4 in English grammar, composition and literature and 2 units of a language other than English

- 4 units in mathematics, including Algebra I and II, Geometry and 1 unit beyond Algebra II or Algebra I and II and 2 units beyond Algebra II or Integrated Math I, II and III and 1 unit beyond Integrated Math III. 

- 3 units in science including 1 unit in life or biological science, 1 unit in physical science, 1 laboratory course

- 2 units in Social Studies, including 1 in US History

The student must have a  minimum GPA of 2.5 and a minimum SAT of 800 or a minimum ACT of 17

Admissions to UNC-CH and NCSU is competitive and a student must exceed these requirements to be considered. AP exams or participation in CCP are highly recommended for these universities. 

As an alternative, you could look at the minimum requirements for a college prep diploma from an NC public high school: 

4 credits English

2 credits Language other than English

4 math credits - Algebra I, II, Geometry and one course beyond Algebra II or Integrated Math I, II, III and a credit beyond III. 

3 credits Science - physcial, biology and Earth & Environmental Science

4 credits Social Studies - Civics & Economics, World History, American History I and American History II or  Civics & Economics, World History, AP US History and one additional social science course

1 credit PE/Health

Electives - 6 credits

ETA: Remember, there is no official "suggestion." That is not within the bounds of the law. The former head of NCDNPE added a lot of non-essential information to their website, but it is always up to the parent to determine the best course of study for each of their students. You can do this by choosing one of the lists above, or you can devise your own requirements (such as following TWTM, or completing MFW or an online course of instruction, or anything else you can imagine). Just remember, prepare your child for their future to the best of your (and their) ability.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 3

I have graduated two students from our homeschool in NC. I have never followed the state's suggestions for graduation. We looked at what colleges wanted and went by that. Neither of my girls had any problems getting into public and private colleges. From our experience as long as we had the minimum requirements set by them and good SAT/ACT scores the colleges were happy.

HTH!

• Like 3

Hey y'all!  :)

Started homeschooling dd in 2005 during which time we received the "start up" package with master forms, etc.  In it was the "pink" paper which described the requirements for primary, middle and high school. 

I thought 3 electives were "due".  Now I've been researching and if I'm reading the info.right, dd needs 6 credits of electives!  ????

Help me with this?   I understand all of the other requirements which she is working towards (math, science, language and etc) but it's the electives I'm not understanding.

PLEASE HELP!   Thanks!

So, DNPE sent you a "start-up" package with master forms and stuff? Huh. I have not heard of that. I know I don't homeschool in NC but I have many friends who do, and we've talked about NC homeschooling quite a bit. I do know that there are no requirements for any grade level, and no forms that are required by law after the initial notification to DNPE (and you don't even have to use DNPE's form at all), so I find what you describe to be very curious.

As the others have said, there are no requirements for homeschooled students to be graduated in NC. You graduate your dc when they finish whatever *you* decide they need. Do you remember what you did in high school? Well, if you do something like that, you're on the right trace. In my high school days (and that's four high schools in three state), we did four years of English (each year including grammar, composition, and literature); three years of social sciences (world history, American history, U.S. government); one to three years of math (most high schools at that time were 10-12, not 9-12); at least once science, biology and above; and at least one math. Foreign languages, science above biology, and math above general (IOW, algebra and above) were electives, as well as fine arts such as choir or art, industrial arts such as home ec. or woodshop, and classes such as typing and shorthand. So, if we did English and social sciences each year, that left four or five classes *each year* that technically were "electives:" algebra, geometry, trig; shorthand and typing; physics or other lab sciences; all of them are "electives." Your dd probably has "electives" you just haven't realized yet. :-)

So, DNPE sent you a "start-up" package with master forms and stuff? Huh. I have not heard of that. I know I don't homeschool in NC but I have many friends who do, and we've talked about NC homeschooling quite a bit. I do know that there are no requirements for any grade level, and no forms that are required by law after the initial notification to DNPE (and you don't even have to use DNPE's form at all), so I find what you describe to be very curious.

We had a DNPE director who added a lot of information to the website and provided sample attendance forms to new homeschoolers. Our new director is a homeschooling veteran, it will be interesting to see what, if anything, will change. 

• Like 2