Menu

Triple beam balance scale?

LMD

Is this necessary? Do other scales not do the same things? Sorry, I'm not a sciency person so I'm trying to get my head around what this does without having access to one!

We're doing bfsu vol 2 and it's listed in the A stream as part of measuring density/volume.

My oldest is in 6th, we have many years of middle/high school science ahead, will I use it again?

No, you don't need it. Get a nice digital scale that measures in grams and it will serve you better. We got ours from Home Science Tools for around $50. You can use your digital scale for high school sciences as well. On their website, they used to have a buying guide with what features to look for.

Triple beam balance use is a required skill in my state, so I teach it as part of biology at the co-op. It was also required at the community college where I taught. I'd have my student watch a youtube video about it so that the know how it works, and then buy a cheaper digital scale. They work the same was as a doctor's scale, except for the maximum that they can measure, so your doctor might let you do it the next time somebody has an appointment. The important idea is to start with the heaviest increment it can measure (usually 100lbs in a dr office, 100g on a lab scale) and seat it into a groove on the balance bar. Then do the next lowest, etc, untiil you get an accurate measurement.