Menu

Beginner Geography Games

Earthmerlin

I've a 2nd grader & would like to expand her geography knowledge & skills. We're a game-loving family & enjoy 'family game nights' so I'm searching for a geography-based board game for ultra-beginners (the 2nd grader). We just got Scrambled States & it looks promising & fun but I guess I'm now on the hunt for more global games. Reading maps & geographical features would be good along with cultural tidbits. I see Brainbox All Around the World online--does anyone have a review? What else is out there for this age-group that's both educational but fun? Many thanks!

Edited by Earthmerlin

We have Map Tangle. It's like Twister, but with cards of landmarks: rivers, mountains, pyramids, etc. You pull two cards and have to place your feet on each point on the map.

Oh, wow, super cute idea! Seriously, who thinks of these things? Thanks!

Edited by Earthmerlin

Oh, wow, super cute idea! Seriously, who thinks of these things? Thanks!

Yikes!!! I just looked for it on Amazon & I guess it was recalled due to lead-based paint. Did you know of this? Hope you're OK. I still like the simplicity of this game & will look for a safer edition of it, perhaps.

Yikes!!! I just looked for it on Amazon & I guess it was recalled due to lead-based paint. Did you know of this? Hope you're OK. I still like the simplicity of this game & will look for a safer edition of it, perhaps.

:scared: No, I didn't!

And while I'm pretty sure it's not old enough to be part of the recall (2005), I can't be 100%.  I'm going to have to test it. :(

:scared: No, I didn't!

And while I'm pretty sure it's not old enough to be part of the recall (2005), I can't be 100%. I'm going to have to test it. :(

OK, if your version ends up being safe, please let me know. And then where you got yours so I can also buy a safe one. Thanks! Edited by Earthmerlin

We love the series of boardgames called '10 Days in ...'.

There's 10 Days in Africa, 10 Days in Europe, 10 Days in Asia etc.

They are excellent games from a strategic game-play perspective and also excellent from a geography perspective - you quickly learn where all the countries in each continent are.

ipad app - Stack the Countries

online games - http://world-geography-games.com/   and  http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/Geography.htm 

• Like 1

Take Off

Flag Frenzy (like the Spot It games, but with flags)

10 days games (apparently, they only make the US one these days, so you have to find the others used-which makes them pricey)

geobingo (us or world) simple bingo type game

We also do a handmade game where I spread a map out, and their lego guys take a trip from places I call out.