Menu

Anyone use Scratch for computer programming for little kids?

Scratch is absolutely fantastic IMO.  5 y.o. is a bit young to do much.  Let your ds play around with it, of course, but plan to come back to it in a few years.  I think it's much more useful around, say, 8 on the younger end to 13 on the older end.  9 or 10 seems to be the sweet spot.

• Like 1

DS, age four, uses the Scratch Jr App as well. He played Robot Turtles, The Foos, Kodable, Lightbot, and code.org module 2 before playing with Scratch Jr. I don't know about the main Scratch site but the Scratch Jr, and the other beginning programs, do not require a guide book at all. The programming is done with blocks rather than actual code. Of the beginning programs we've used, code.org was the best at actually explaining and learning what and how to use the different types of code blocks.

• Like 1

Love scratch. Kids need to be able to read to do the programming - hard for my dyslexic.

I often see that the "older" end of the age is early teen, but my 15 year old still does some things in scratch intermittently and it's quite impressive some of the logic and complexity he can put together.

Mostly, I'd say it's fantastic for younger kids to learn programming logic without the details of a programming language.

• Like 1

My 7yo and 8yo both like it.  We've downloaded the offline editor to an old laptop for them.  Once the offline editor is downloaded, there is no need for an internet connection so Scratch can go with them anywhere and no need for for me to supervise internet access.

• Like 1

DD loved the Scratch Jr. IPad app and played it when she was 1st grade.

DS, age four, uses the Scratch Jr App as well. He played Robot Turtles, The Foos, Kodable, Lightbot, and code.org module 2 before playing with Scratch Jr. I don't know about the main Scratch site but the Scratch Jr, and the other beginning programs, do not require a guide book at all. The programming is done with blocks rather than actual code. Of the beginning programs we've used, code.org was the best at actually explaining and learning what and how to use the different types of code blocks.

I can't find the Scratch Jr app. Is it called something else? I see Scratch Maze, Start Scratch, and Scratch 2 Games. None of those I saw got good reviews. I have an iPhone, if that matters?

DS loves The Foos app but that's as far as he's gone with coding.

Thanks! I will look into these other ones before making a decision. Very helpful!